Ian Thorpe

• And he is still a very good swimmer in my book.
  • No one forced him to lie about his sexuality, nor did they force him to date women. He chose to conform to whatever fake standard he chose to. Not only that, but his comments and treatment of the GLBT community in the past were simply horrible. Greg Lougainis was a successful diver while publicly accepting who he is and embracing the community he is a part of. It is great that Thorpe is finally able to accept who his is. However, he'll need some major psychological help to move forward. True, no one forced him to lie, but an intolerant society has a great influence on behaviors- good or bad. In this case, evidently, Ian Thorpe's behavior was very bad. I never followed Ian Thorpe and haven't a clue what he had said in the past about the GLBT community. (Admittedly, I didn't even read the entire article Bill posted.) Thanks for filling me in on this, because I find it appalling that he would treat the GLBT community poorly- ESPECIALLY because he is part of that community! It is one thing to deny your sexuality, but quite another to make negative comments and mistreat people in the process. As for Greg Lougainis, he is one class act! :applaud:
  • How sad that he felt he had to lie about his sexuality in the past. Unfortunately, much of the world (including most of the U.S.A. and definitely in most of Australia) is still unaccepting of homosexuality. I will never understand why people care so much about the private lives of other people! :shakeshead:
  • I find it appalling that he would treat the GLBT community poorly- ESPECIALLY because he is part of that community! It is one thing to deny your sexuality, but quite another to make negative comments and mistreat people in the process. Not trying to excuse any such comments or behavior (I am not clued into any specifics), but I don't think that kind of thing is rare. Especially, as you say, in a more intolerant time.
  • How sad that he felt he had to lie about his sexuality in the past.:shakeshead: No one forced him to lie about his sexuality, nor did they force him to date women. He chose to conform to whatever fake standard he chose to. Not only that, but his comments and treatment of the GLBT community in the past were simply horrible. Greg Lougainis was a successful diver while publicly accepting who he is and embracing the community he is a part of. It is great that Thorpe is finally able to accept who his is. However, he'll need some major psychological help to move forward.
  • I really hope so. The guy has had a rough road the last few years. On a lighter note, Thorpe coming out reminded me of an Onion article. I don't think this is the one I was thinking of, but same idea: www.theonion.com/.../ :) Hilarious. I need to send that to a couple of people. On another note. Gay Athlete "A" to Gay Athlete "B" over the weekend. "Are you going to Gay Games in Cleveland?", "No, that's too Gay for me." Equally hilarious.
  • His negativism maybe part of his denial? I'm just glad his shoulder is healed up and recovered.
  • OMG The Onion is hilarious. My favorite articles are "Nation's Dog Owners Demand to Know, Who's a Good Boy" along with "Archaeologists Uncover Ancient Race of Skeleton People." Off topic, I know. There's lots of reasons people don't come out of the closet, and aztimm may be right that someone was about to out him. But then it's still a well-know secret in the figure skating community that about 80% of the guys are gay and honestly, I don't think anyone really cares what a person is. I care about the closeted lawmakers who push anti-gay legislation.
  • I care about the closeted lawmakers who push anti-gay legislation. +1! And, how about evangelical preachers who preach what a "sin" it is to be gay but end up being gay themselves? :shakeshead:
  • I discussed this over the weekend with some friends. We believe Ian's self outing is the beginning of a healing process for himself. If he has angered anyone for his views during this very long denial of himself then those who feel slighted need to begin their process to forgive Ian for any preceived transgression. Then there is this nice article about Ian I ran across today. www.theguardian.com/.../breathe-out-ian-thorpe-and-thank-you I personally wish the best for him.