Swim Watch - Butterfly vs. Freestyle

Does anyone have a Garmin Swim Watch and know or can speculate what motion the watch detects when determining whether the swimmer is swimming butterfly or freestyle?
  • This is in the "speculate" category, but I have to think it's programmed to detect the unique arm movement pattern associated with each stroke; but I myself am curious what the real answer is.
  • This is in the "speculate" category, but I have to think it's programmed to detect the unique arm movement pattern associated with each stroke; but I myself am curious what the real answer is. It's definitely an arm movement that is unique to butterfly. All of my fly strokes are detected as free and all of my free strokes are correctly detected as free so whatever it is, it has to be something I'm not doing that the watch looks for in fly that distinguishes it from free.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have a Garmin Swim watch. For me, it correctly detects the difference between fly and free. One of the speculative answers that I thought of is the difference in the kick, and the depth difference and/or propulsive force timing in the water it produces. I was very puzzled by the original question and found a reference to your question on a Garmin forum. One of the answers to the Garmin forum question was it is a known problem and an update would help with the problem. forums.garmin.com/showthread.php