How much rotation?

Former Member
Former Member
When I began to work on my front crawl, I watched all the TI videos, and maybe I'm wrong, but the rotation seemed extreme, (complete rotation from side to side). In watching a recent GoSwim video (Narrow Shoulders), using that form, I find that I slightly rotate but not much in comparison to TI. Is there a right/wrong amount of rotation? Also, how does one correct this problem - I rotate easily to my breathing side, but barely rotate to the opposite side. Is there anything else I can do other than breathing on both sides?
  • Generally, you want to avoid any extremes in swimming. You don't want to be extremely flat, nor you do want to over-rotate. Sounds like you need to work on developing more rotation on at least one side. Definitely work on being able to breathe bilaterally - you'll develop more symmetry in your stroke and you'll be able to keep an eye on your competitors from both sides. You can start out with kicking on your side, focusing on the non-breathing side, so that you can become more comfortable with kicking, rotation and breathing on that side. Good luck! :)
  • My stroke coach worked a trick on me that helps. I use it to check myself occasionally. It's a little hard to describe, but take a kickboard and put the wide end between your thighs and have it stick up like a shark fin. As you swim, you will feel it rock side to side. If you are stiff, it'll just stick straight up, and too much rotation and it tends to pop out. You'll get to feeling if you're lopsided or if you're starting to get the right amount. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    When I began to work on my front crawl, I watched all the TI videos, and maybe I'm wrong, but the rotation seemed extreme, (complete rotation from side to side). In watching a recent GoSwim video (Narrow Shoulders), using that form, I find that I slightly rotate but not much in comparison to TI. Is there a right/wrong amount of rotation? Also, how does one correct this problem - I rotate easily to my breathing side, but barely rotate to the opposite side. Is there anything else I can do other than breathing on both sides? I agree with Swimspire on avoiding either extremes of to much or to little rotation. Sounds like you also have an older TI video. The newer videos talk about "just enough" rotation to clear the same side hip/shoulder. The distance you are going to race/practice will also determine how much rotation you really want in your stroke. If you are going to race 50-100, then you will use less rotation. If you are looking at longer distances, into open water swimming, you will want to use more rotation.
  • renie - I'm not certain, but I believe TI no longer recommends as much rotation as they used to. Did you happen to notice the dates on the videos you watched? More recent ones may show less rotation. flystorms - sounds like a good drill - thanks
  • Former Member
    flystorms, thanks! I tried that drill today. It worked well, I was fairly stable without over-rotating, which is what I've been doing for years.
  • Former Member
    GregJS, don't laugh,:laugh2: but they are VHS tapes! So that gives you an idea how dated they are! They are packed away so I don't know what year they were made.
  • Saw this article on SwimSwam this morning. swimswam.com/.../
  • Freestyle rotation is less than most people think. Please see this "High Performance Tip" on the USA Swimming website. It actually shows you the amount of rotation some of our best swimmers use in their strokes. www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx
  • I'm laughing - but not for the reason you might think. A few weeks ago I went into our local Goodwill store and bought a tape deck! It's fun listening to tapes that have been sitting in a box for many years. Maybe I'll pick up a VHS player next... The TI demonstrated on the tapes you were watching is probably called "Classic" or "Golden Oldies" style now!
  • Former Member
    thanks, ganache! that's what I need - a visual!:)