2014 FINA Worlds Information

Swimmers, Use this thread to share information, blogs, personal results and stories from the 2014 World Championships in Montreal. Those posting blogs specifically should make sure the are posted to the following link: forums.usms.org/blog.php Below and attached you will find the first email letter from Tim Waud regarding the World Championships in Montreal, Canada. Dear Worlds Swimmers, The World Team coaches are excited to represent United States Masters Swimming at the 2014 FINA World Championship. Coaches are Tim Waud (Oregon), Dean Hawks (Indiana), Andrew LeVasseur (Colorado) and Jennifer Catucci-Crowther (Virginia). Head Coach Tim Waud can be reached by email: Twaud@aol.com COMMUNICATION: Social Media: Join our Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/.../ This page will continue to be updated preceding and throughout the event. Venue: The World Team coaches intend on identifying two locations, one just outside of each competition pool in Montreal, where we can post daily messages for all the USA swimmers. Please be on the lookout for “TEAM MESSAGES” at the meet. Look for the USMS logo on the message board. Coaches: The World Team coaches will be highly visible on the pool deck(s). Coaches will be wearing USMS Polo Shirts and be in area represented by a United States Masters Swimming banner. RELAYS: Relay Cards: Relay sheets or cards indicating the names of the pre-registered swimmers will be given to the team representative on arrival at registration. These competitors must be verified or amended and the relay sheets or cards returned to the designated point by Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM. Changes to team age groups, swimmers or times will be accepted until Tuesday, 15th July 2014 by the coach or a team representative. All relay team members must be affiliated with the same swimming club. A swimmer may not swim for more than one team per relay event. TEAM DINNER: Check the team message board and Facebook daily for information regarding team dinners and social events. Places to swim in Montreal: These are links to swimming pools in Montreal; some of these facilities do not open until this summer. www.montrealgazette.com/.../pools.html ville.montreal.qc.ca/.../page www.yelp.com/search www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!2m4!3m3!1spublic swimming pools!2sMontreal, QC, Canada!3s0x4cc91a541c64b70d:0x654e3138211fefef swim.isport.com/.../
  • What Rule is THAT?! Kathy Casey, USMS Rules Chair, answers your questions The Coach Asks: What are the differences between USMS rules and FINA rules that our swimmers might face at the World Championships in Montreal? Answer: The World Championship is run according to FINA rules and policies, so it will not be like a USMS meet. Some of the rules differences are: The minimum age for competitors is 25 (FINA rule MSW 1.1). The 1500 free is not offered at this meet (FINA rule BL 10.2.2). FINA qualifying times are different than USMS national qualifying times (FINA rule BL 10.2.1). A swimmer may not enter more than 5 individual events (FINA rule BL 10.2.5). Swimmers could be required to swim 2-to-a-lane in freestyle events 400 meters and longer (FINA rule MSW 3.7). All swimmers must report to the clerk of course (marshaling area) at least 15 minutes before their designated races. Report earlier than that for the 800 free in case the 800 is seeded as the swimmers arrive for marshaling as was done in Italy (2012). FINA officials count laps for swimmers in the 800 individual freestyle and show the remaining number of lengths to be completed (descending order rather than ascending order). Officials only count from the turn end of the pool, not from the sides of the pool (FINA rule SW 2.6.3), and they do not put the numbers in the water when touchpads are in place at the turn end of the pool. Officials will give each swimmer in each heat of the 800 free a warning signal (bell or whistle) when there are 2 lengths plus 5 meters left for each swimmer (FINA rule SW 2.6.4). For backstroke starts, when the "FINA high walls" are in place with touchpads extending 0.3 meter above the water surface, the toes can be placed above the surface of the water because there are no gutters on which the toes can be placed (FINA rules FR 2.4.3 and SW 6.1). FINA requires notification of disqualifications only via posted code in the meet results (FINA rule MSW 3.10). Times achieved at Worlds which are slower than the qualifying times will not be posted in the results but will be shown instead as NT (no time). Filing a protest costs money (100 Swiss francs or its equivalent, which is refunded if the protest is upheld; FINA rule GR 9.2.2). For a more complete list of FINA rules differences, see pages 154 -156 in Appendix B of the 2014 USMS Rule Book which can be viewed or downloaded at usms.org. FINA rules and regulations can be viewed at fina.org. All rule references are from the 2014 USMS Rule Book. For any questions about competition rules in Part 1, contact Kathy Casey, USMS Rules Chair.
  • RELAY INFORMATION: Mixed relays will be swum in the MAIN POOL. FOLLOWING THE MIXED RELAYS: Women's Relays will be swum in the MAIN POOL. Men's Relays will be swum in the SECONDARY POOL.
  • TRANSPORTATION FROM THE AIRPORT Please bring your online receipt for identification purposes. This is also your ticket, on day of arrival, for the public transportation and buses from the Pierre-Elliot-Trudeau airport when going to the accreditation area at the Fairmont le Reine Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal.
  • ACCREDITATION At Accreditation site (Fairmont Le Reine Elizabeth Hotel) 1. Identification: The print out from the receipt of the online registration system must be shown. (THERE IS NO BARCODE) 2. Proof of Age: An official document, I.e. Passport, driver license, or birth certificate showing the competitor's date of birth must be shown. 3. Registration Card: A photocopy of the competitor's club Registration Card or Master License issued by their national swimming organization must be shown. 4. Photographs: No photos will be taken at accreditation, except if we have to replace a lost accreditation card. 5. Accreditation Card: An accreditation card will be issued. All participants who have paid their individual fee, must carry their accreditation card to enter the pool and take advantage of all the benefits. ACCREDITATION Upon arrival at the Championships, all individual participants; must go to the Accreditation Center located in the Fairmont le Reine Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. Location: http://goo.go/maps/9SmKD Please bring your online receipt with barcode for identification purposes. This is also your ticket, on day of arrival, for the public transportation and buses from the Pierre-Elliot-Trudeau airport when going to the accreditation area at the Fairmont le Reine Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. Preliminary opening hours for accreditation. (Check onhttp://www.finamasters2014.org for final status) Fairmont le Reine Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal Thursday July 24, from 8:00-24:00 Friday July 25, from 8:00-24:00 Saturday July 26, from 8:00-24:00 Sunday July 27, from 8:00-24:00 On competition days, from 8:00-24:00
  • THE OPENING CEREMONY: American Competitors will meet at 6:30 PM at the Esplanade Financière Sun Life du Parc Olympique. The US Masters Swimming Coaches will be wearing red, white and blue polo shirts with Uncle Sam stove pipe hats. We will parade in with an American flag and USMS banners. The Opening Ceremony will take place at the Esplanade Financière Sun Life du Parc Olympique, Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM. To start the evening, a Quebec folkloric group, La Bottine souriante, will be offering a half-hour performance, and then an exceptional light and sound show will be presented by Laser Quantum. Following the light and sound show, the presentation of the flags as well as a few speeches will take place. Finally, the internationally renowned Canadian impersonator, AndrĂ©-Philippe Gagnon, will be on stage for no less than 90 minutes and will close the ceremony. The gates will open at 6:30 PM. Food, refreshments and alcohol beverages will be available for purchase during the ceremony. HOW TO GET THERE: Entrances to the Esplanade Financière Sun Life By metro: Pie-IX station By car: Parking PA-2, at the intersection of Pierre-De Coubertin and La Salle. finamasters2014.org/
  • ACCREDITATION At Accreditation site (Fairmont Le Reine Elizabeth Hotel) 1. Identification: The print out from the receipt of the online registration system must be shown. (THERE IS NO BARCODE) 2. Proof of Age: An official document, I.e. Passport, driver license, or birth certificate showing the competitor's date of birth must be shown. 3. Registration Card: A photocopy of the competitor's club Registration Card or Master License issued by their national swimming organization must be shown. 4. Photographs: No photos will be taken at accreditation, except if we have to replace a lost accreditation card. 5. Accreditation Card: An accreditation card will be issued. All participants who have paid their individual fee, must carry their accreditation card to enter the pool and take advantage of all the benefits. ACCREDITATION Upon arrival at the Championships, all individual participants; must go to the Accreditation Center located in the Fairmont le Reine Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. Location: http://goo.go/maps/9SmKD Please bring your online receipt with barcode for identification purposes. This is also your ticket, on day of arrival, for the public transportation and buses from the Pierre-Elliot-Trudeau airport when going to the accreditation area at the Fairmont le Reine Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. Preliminary opening hours for accreditation. (Check onhttp://www.finamasters2014.org for final status) Fairmont le Reine Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal Thursday July 24, from 8:00-24:00 Friday July 25, from 8:00-24:00 Saturday July 26, from 8:00-24:00 Sunday July 27, from 8:00-24:00 On competition days, from 8:00-24:00 I'm confused.I have the online registration receipt,the one without barcode.What is the one with barcode?
  • I'm confused.I have the online registration receipt,the one without barcode.What is the one with barcode? 1. Identification: The print out from the receipt of the online registration system must be shown. (THERE IS NO BARCODE)
  • I'm confused.I have the online registration receipt,the one without barcode.What is the one with barcode? King Frog, let me explain further, because I DO understand your confusion. ;) When I registered, somewhere I remember reading (on the website or in an e-mail) that I MUST bring the online registration receipt "with the barcode" to the hotel in order to pick up my accreditation card. Soon after, I read (again, on the website or in an e-mail- or, perhaps it was on Facebook?) that it was a mistake. There is no barcode, there never was a barcode, and there will never be a barcode, so fuhhgetaboutit. All you need to do is bring your online registration receipt and they'll figure out who you are. After all, you are King Frog. :banana:
  • 1. Identification: The print out from the receipt of the online registration system must be shown. (THERE IS NO BARCODE) :nono: Be nice to King Frog or he'll turn you into a toad. :D
  • :nono: Be nice to King Frog or he'll turn you into a toad. :D Be nice to Tim,he is my teammate and a BREASTSTROKER :banana::banana::banana::banana:. Everyone else be nice to Elaine,she was a breaststroker before she became a butternut and she still has residual frog.