Straight arm freestyle pull

Seems like everyone thinks I should change to Bent arm freestyle pull. Have done straight arm as kid and now over 20 years as masters and for first 10 years all strokes all distances and all open waters. And most years very successfully. And no shoulder injuries. I have been researching thingthis online and understand the differences but still do not see how changing to bent arm free pull would be to my benefit. And feels totally awkward. Yeah I know change feels awkward. Anyone else feel this way?
Parents
  • Robertsrobson is right, what is your goal in swimming? If you just like to swim, enjoy the workouts, the friends you make, the fitness aspect, and you are content with your level of success, by all means continue what you are doing, no reason to change. If you are interested in swimming faster...that is different. How important is swimming faster? If it is not important, don't do anything to change what you are doing. Technique is king. Decreasing the amount of drag/resistance you create by improving your technique will go a long way to help you swim faster. The direction of movement your arm does when entering the water using a straight arm approach is where? Down. Pushing the water down, does what? It lifts you up in the water. That continues until your straight arm becomes vertical in the water at which time you begin to push water behind you, thus moving you ahead in the direction you want to go. How many strokes does it take you to go 25 yards with a straight arm approach vs. how many with a true high elbow early vertical catch? The earlier you get your arm in a position to pull water behind you, the more water you will be moving and the faster you will go.
  • Robertsrobson is right, what is your goal in swimming? If you just like to swim, enjoy the workouts, the friends you make, the fitness aspect, and you are content with your level of success, by all means continue what you are doing, no reason to change. If you are interested in swimming faster...that is different. How important is swimming faster? If it is not important, don't do anything to change what you are doing. Technique is king. Decreasing the amount of drag/resistance you create by improving your technique will go a long way to help you swim faster. The direction of movement your arm does when entering the water using a straight arm approach is where? Down. Pushing the water down, does what? It lifts you up in the water. That continues until your straight arm becomes vertical in the water at which time you begin to push water behind you, thus moving you ahead in the direction you want to go. How many strokes does it take you to go 25 yards with a straight arm approach vs. how many with a true high elbow early vertical catch? The earlier you get your arm in a position to pull water behind you, the more water you will be moving and the faster you will go.
Children
No Data