Newbie Burnout

I haven't been in the pool in over a week. My dog had some serious surgery. The experience sapped my energy, and I just lost interest in doing any exercise, including swimming. I've been too tired to do much of anything but sit in front of the tV and catch up with Orange is the New Black and Longmire. I've only been swimming six months, and on top of the doggy issue, am discouraged with my lack of progress i.e., being the slowest one in the lane. Is it possible this is just newbie burnout, and I'll get my swimming mojo back? When I swim I'm careful to eat clean, but of course the bad stuff has worked its way back into my diet. I'd like to know whether any of you go through swimming burnout, or if you did at the beginning when you were just really learning the sport (if you can remember that far back LOL), and how you push through the stressful times that threaten to sideline you and halt any progress you're making.
Parents
  • I haven't been in the pool in over a week. My dog had some serious surgery. The experience sapped my energy, and I just lost interest in doing any exercise, including swimming. I've been too tired to do much of anything but sit in front of the tV and catch up with Orange is the New Black and Longmire. I've only been swimming six months, and on top of the doggy issue, am discouraged with my lack of progress i.e., being the slowest one in the lane. Is it possible this is just newbie burnout, and I'll get my swimming mojo back? When I swim I'm careful to eat clean, but of course the bad stuff has worked its way back into my diet. I'd like to know whether any of you go through swimming burnout, or if you did at the beginning when you were just really learning the sport (if you can remember that far back LOL), and how you push through the stressful times that threaten to sideline you and halt any progress you're making. Denise. We all go through highs and lows and you are by no means the first person to take a step backward after an event in your life. The real world often gets in the way of activities like swimming and it's 100% ok. My suggestion would be to work on some goals. These don't have to be beat Missy Franklin type goals but rather goals you can work toward to keep you focused. You mentioned being last in the lane. There is nothing wrong with this but if you don't want to be last in the lane work with your coach on some steps that will help your swimming such as for 3 months you will stick around an extra 10 minutes after practice and work on kick or you will do a sprint from the blocks. Goals don't have to be time based and they don't have to be race based. Goals help me at least navigate the ups and downs of my life and stay on some sort of course. I was successful in losing considerable weight using goals. I tend to set both short and long term goals and work towards both. Like everyone I too have tough days and weeks but the goals help me get through. Also sharing the goals with some of my team mates helped me early on because I then have others who I trust who can motivate me when I have a tough patch. I hope you are able to reengage in the pool. As you know it's such great fun and so healthy an exercise. I wish you all the best.
  • I haven't been in the pool in over a week. My dog had some serious surgery. The experience sapped my energy, and I just lost interest in doing any exercise, including swimming. I've been too tired to do much of anything but sit in front of the tV and catch up with Orange is the New Black and Longmire. I've only been swimming six months, and on top of the doggy issue, am discouraged with my lack of progress i.e., being the slowest one in the lane. Is it possible this is just newbie burnout, and I'll get my swimming mojo back? When I swim I'm careful to eat clean, but of course the bad stuff has worked its way back into my diet. I'd like to know whether any of you go through swimming burnout, or if you did at the beginning when you were just really learning the sport (if you can remember that far back LOL), and how you push through the stressful times that threaten to sideline you and halt any progress you're making. Denise. We all go through highs and lows and you are by no means the first person to take a step backward after an event in your life. The real world often gets in the way of activities like swimming and it's 100% ok. My suggestion would be to work on some goals. These don't have to be beat Missy Franklin type goals but rather goals you can work toward to keep you focused. You mentioned being last in the lane. There is nothing wrong with this but if you don't want to be last in the lane work with your coach on some steps that will help your swimming such as for 3 months you will stick around an extra 10 minutes after practice and work on kick or you will do a sprint from the blocks. Goals don't have to be time based and they don't have to be race based. Goals help me at least navigate the ups and downs of my life and stay on some sort of course. I was successful in losing considerable weight using goals. I tend to set both short and long term goals and work towards both. Like everyone I too have tough days and weeks but the goals help me get through. Also sharing the goals with some of my team mates helped me early on because I then have others who I trust who can motivate me when I have a tough patch. I hope you are able to reengage in the pool. As you know it's such great fun and so healthy an exercise. I wish you all the best.
Children
No Data