Thunderstorms, indoor pools and workouts interrupted

Hey gang, I'm being watchful of the weather (and a free-lance deadline)--so I'm hoping that I don't run into the same problem as I did about a week ago. At that time, I had set out to do a pretty long workout (need the yards for my open water swim!). Unfortunately, the lifeguards chased us out of the pool b/c of hearing thunder. They told me that they'd wait a half hour, but that the clock would be reset if there was more thunder. Won't even get started on why this should be the case, but more important for my purposes is to get a sense of what you do if your schedule is tight and the time you set up for swimming a specific workout is thrown out due to something like this (heck, you can substitute other events that close pools, if you want, as the t-storm is just one way such a thing can happen). Do you wait until who knows how long and hope the pool will reopen? Do something dry-land that will at least use the swimming muscles? Bag it and decide it's not your day? (As it happened, it was last Friday and although I'm not superstitious, mostly, it seemed as if that day was full of things that went wrong. Won't go into all that.) I want--no, NEED, to make sure I'm staying abreast of the training and I hate missing time for something like that--and probably just need to plan better to go early in the morning when there are fewer thunderstorms--but that said, stuff happens (even early in the morning), so I want to have a good back-up plan--or be all Zen about it and know that over the long haul, I'll be ready. Thanks for any thoughts!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I found an interesting description of one facility's policy on their web site. This is at the Burkwood Swim & Racquet Club in Mechanicsville, Virginia: From: www.burkwoodclub.com/closing_policy.html Burkwood Storm Policy for Indoor and Outdoor Pools OUTDOOR POOL. Burkwood closes the outdoor pools at the first sign of thunder or lightning. The pools reopen approximately 30 minutes after the last sighting of lightning or hearing of thunder. INDOOR POOL. The indoor pool does not close for thunder and lightning storms unless it is a particular violent storm in the immedicate vicinity. Doors leading directly to the pool from the outside must stay closed during storms. If the indoor pool is closed, patrons are asked to stay out of the pool and showers to minimize any risks of being struck by lightning. Patrons of the club should also stay inside the buidling until the storm has passed. Why can the indoor pool stay open during storms? Most people have grown up thinking they must leave any pool (outdoor or indoor) in the event of an electrical storm. However, when one does research on the subject, the following facts are found in just about every research document: Fact one, there has never been a reported injury or death from lightning while swimming in an indoor pool. Fact two, there has been one reported case of lightning striking to an indoor pool – back in 2000 in Canada. Lightning struck a nearby pole, bounced off, and went through an open window where it struck the pool. The 20 or so people in the pool were not injured. Fact three, there is more risk talking on a landline telephone than swimming in an indoor pool during an electrical storm. Fact four, by closing the indoor pool for a storm, we actually put our patrons at more risk because of where they go – to the showers (higher risk due to the metal drains and piping), outdoors going to their cars (where they are exposed), and into cars driving in the rain (statistically proven that more accidents occur in storms). Some other factors that make the pool a safe environment. The pump system is a closed circulation system. Furthermore, all of the piping is made of PVC, not metal. Without a doubt, when a storm is present outside the fitness center, it can sound scary in the pool area. There is no insulation to muffle the sounds of the storm outside. It is just a case of the bark being worse than the bite. Ultimately if you feel uncomfortable while in the pool during an electrical storm, you have the choice to get out and leave the pool area. What about other indoor pools in the area? I have spoken with representatives from VCU, UoR, NOVA, and GRAP. None of these facilities close their indoor pools due to lightning or thunder. The YMCA does close their indoor pool. This is a national policy based on a document from the National Lightning Safety Institute (NLSI). I am providing a link to this document at the end. Finally, if you want more information on the subject matter, below are two documents. One is from the National Lightning Safety Institute (NLSI). Interesting to note, the NLSI cites the same first two facts listed above. Furthermore, it can not provide any quantitative proof for closing indoor pools except to say that lightning could strike an indoor pool. Still, in the face of all of the evidence, the NLSI recommends closing indoor pools. One more note on the NLSI article, it lists USA Swimming as recommending closing indoor pools during swim meets and practices if storms are present. This is an outright fabrication. USA Swimming does not have any recommendation on the subject matter except to say it is the decision of the facilities' aquatic manager. The second article is from a respected member of the aquatic industry and provides even more evidence on the subject matter. NLSI article: www.lightningsafety.com/.../indoor_pools.html Aquatics International article: www.aquaticsintl.com/.../when-lightning-strikes.aspx In conclusion, as your Aquatics Director, my first priority is to insure the safety of the members, guests, and employees using the aquatic facilities while providing an environment that people want to come and enjoy. With every decision that is made, the benefits to the membership are weighed against the consequences and risks associated with that decision. All factual evidence indicates that swimming in an indoor pool during a thunder and lightning storm is perfectly safe as long as certain precautions are taken (such as keeping all windows and doors closed.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I found an interesting description of one facility's policy on their web site. This is at the Burkwood Swim & Racquet Club in Mechanicsville, Virginia: From: www.burkwoodclub.com/closing_policy.html Burkwood Storm Policy for Indoor and Outdoor Pools OUTDOOR POOL. Burkwood closes the outdoor pools at the first sign of thunder or lightning. The pools reopen approximately 30 minutes after the last sighting of lightning or hearing of thunder. INDOOR POOL. The indoor pool does not close for thunder and lightning storms unless it is a particular violent storm in the immedicate vicinity. Doors leading directly to the pool from the outside must stay closed during storms. If the indoor pool is closed, patrons are asked to stay out of the pool and showers to minimize any risks of being struck by lightning. Patrons of the club should also stay inside the buidling until the storm has passed. Why can the indoor pool stay open during storms? Most people have grown up thinking they must leave any pool (outdoor or indoor) in the event of an electrical storm. However, when one does research on the subject, the following facts are found in just about every research document: Fact one, there has never been a reported injury or death from lightning while swimming in an indoor pool. Fact two, there has been one reported case of lightning striking to an indoor pool – back in 2000 in Canada. Lightning struck a nearby pole, bounced off, and went through an open window where it struck the pool. The 20 or so people in the pool were not injured. Fact three, there is more risk talking on a landline telephone than swimming in an indoor pool during an electrical storm. Fact four, by closing the indoor pool for a storm, we actually put our patrons at more risk because of where they go – to the showers (higher risk due to the metal drains and piping), outdoors going to their cars (where they are exposed), and into cars driving in the rain (statistically proven that more accidents occur in storms). Some other factors that make the pool a safe environment. The pump system is a closed circulation system. Furthermore, all of the piping is made of PVC, not metal. Without a doubt, when a storm is present outside the fitness center, it can sound scary in the pool area. There is no insulation to muffle the sounds of the storm outside. It is just a case of the bark being worse than the bite. Ultimately if you feel uncomfortable while in the pool during an electrical storm, you have the choice to get out and leave the pool area. What about other indoor pools in the area? I have spoken with representatives from VCU, UoR, NOVA, and GRAP. None of these facilities close their indoor pools due to lightning or thunder. The YMCA does close their indoor pool. This is a national policy based on a document from the National Lightning Safety Institute (NLSI). I am providing a link to this document at the end. Finally, if you want more information on the subject matter, below are two documents. One is from the National Lightning Safety Institute (NLSI). Interesting to note, the NLSI cites the same first two facts listed above. Furthermore, it can not provide any quantitative proof for closing indoor pools except to say that lightning could strike an indoor pool. Still, in the face of all of the evidence, the NLSI recommends closing indoor pools. One more note on the NLSI article, it lists USA Swimming as recommending closing indoor pools during swim meets and practices if storms are present. This is an outright fabrication. USA Swimming does not have any recommendation on the subject matter except to say it is the decision of the facilities' aquatic manager. The second article is from a respected member of the aquatic industry and provides even more evidence on the subject matter. NLSI article: www.lightningsafety.com/.../indoor_pools.html Aquatics International article: www.aquaticsintl.com/.../when-lightning-strikes.aspx In conclusion, as your Aquatics Director, my first priority is to insure the safety of the members, guests, and employees using the aquatic facilities while providing an environment that people want to come and enjoy. With every decision that is made, the benefits to the membership are weighed against the consequences and risks associated with that decision. All factual evidence indicates that swimming in an indoor pool during a thunder and lightning storm is perfectly safe as long as certain precautions are taken (such as keeping all windows and doors closed.
Children
No Data