Thunderstorms, indoor pools and workouts interrupted

Hey gang, I'm being watchful of the weather (and a free-lance deadline)--so I'm hoping that I don't run into the same problem as I did about a week ago. At that time, I had set out to do a pretty long workout (need the yards for my open water swim!). Unfortunately, the lifeguards chased us out of the pool b/c of hearing thunder. They told me that they'd wait a half hour, but that the clock would be reset if there was more thunder. Won't even get started on why this should be the case, but more important for my purposes is to get a sense of what you do if your schedule is tight and the time you set up for swimming a specific workout is thrown out due to something like this (heck, you can substitute other events that close pools, if you want, as the t-storm is just one way such a thing can happen). Do you wait until who knows how long and hope the pool will reopen? Do something dry-land that will at least use the swimming muscles? Bag it and decide it's not your day? (As it happened, it was last Friday and although I'm not superstitious, mostly, it seemed as if that day was full of things that went wrong. Won't go into all that.) I want--no, NEED, to make sure I'm staying abreast of the training and I hate missing time for something like that--and probably just need to plan better to go early in the morning when there are fewer thunderstorms--but that said, stuff happens (even early in the morning), so I want to have a good back-up plan--or be all Zen about it and know that over the long haul, I'll be ready. Thanks for any thoughts!
Parents
  • The logic in closing an indoor pool in this situation is that there is the possibility of a lightning strike close to the pool. The lightning could strike the ground, or something, then would find the closest body of water and go towards it. Hence, an indoor pool must close, and evacuate all swimmers, just the same as if it were an outdoor pool.
  • The logic in closing an indoor pool in this situation is that there is the possibility of a lightning strike close to the pool. The lightning could strike the ground, or something, then would find the closest body of water and go towards it. Hence, an indoor pool must close, and evacuate all swimmers, just the same as if it were an outdoor pool.
Children
No Data