Need help choosing a suit

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I decide to buy a wet suit to use in outdoor swimming pool since i want to be warmer and to avoid sun ray. This is the first time i've ever bought a suit. Is it weird to wear suit in pool ? Will Cl damage suit in long term ? I go swimming 3 times a week, if i rinse it thoroughly after getting out of the pool, will it be fine ? I saw two on Amazon, which one is suitable for me. tks www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2 www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3
  • I've no particular comment on the concept of wearing a wet suit in a pool. I do remember a lane mate who wore one occasionally when I first started swimming with the Northwestern masters team many years ago. (The pool temp was geared to the mens' and womens' teams, not to the comfort of the general public.) That said, despite Amazon's basically infinite warehouse, I would think a wet suit is one of those things you'd really want to try on first, especially if this is your first time buying one. I'd visit a local shop that specializes in outfitting triathletes. Just my two cents.
  • A silicone swim cap can surprisingly increase thermal retention in water. Any waterproof sunscreen that physically blocks UV's, like zinc oxide based, can get the job done for the sunlight. And since wetsuits breakdown over time exposed to pool chemicals, and the daunting task of donning/removing a wetsuit each swim, this might be worth trying first.
  • Yes the chlorine will break down the wetsuit. They'll be pricier but I'd look at triathlon wetsuits if you're determined to go this route--a good one will be less constricting in the shoulders. I've just had good luck with aquasphere but there are a number of good brands. And yes, trying them on is key, though perhaps you could send one back if you try it on before getting in the water.
  • If your main goal is sun protection,these are good and relatively chlorine resistant www.ecostinger.com/men-uv-swimwear-c-23.html