Stroke recovery - not swim stroke- brain stroke.

Former Member
Former Member
I started swimming again in April this year (I have not competed in over 22 years), so far I'm doing pretty well and I'm down to 29sec for a 50 free- but my stamina is sill lacking- I'm finding my breathing may be a big part of it. Jan of 2005 I lost everything on my left side due to a massive stroke, 6 weeks later I had multiple strokes hit the opposite side of my brain which impacting my smell, taste, swallowing and breathing. Overall ive gotten about 85% back, I sill have no hot or cold on the left, pins and needles for feeling and some muscles I can not feel. My breathing, I have to think about breathing out of my nose or I normally do not- I do have issues with fluid getting into my lungs, occasionally due to not swallowing correctly (stroke related) but has not been a medical concern they basically just monitor to make sure it does not get worse. You can not tell by looking at me that I have been through all of this, however I know it, I feel it and working my rear off to get in better shape. Swimming is great- but different then cardio out of the water. I have not found many people that know both about stroke recovery and how it relates to swimming> Muscle wise its great many things you can do to strengthen a weak side but breathing? I'm having problems with how to keep water from being breathed in. The harder I work the more I tend to get water in my lungs and its creating a very tight chest and making it so im having to breath almost every stroke. When im just going for distance and not pushing for speed/sprints I don't have the issue- is it just a timing thing? are their drills I can do for breathing? Im finding I have to break form to keep my breathing ok- example- if I remember correctly in freestyle a slight turn to the side one eye out mouth not all the way out of the water and I used to not have the problem- now I find I keep turning completely out of th water trying to get my mouth completely out?? ideas?-
Parents
  • db2512- It sounds like you have done really well ... 29 for a 50 free after 2 months in the water and what you have been through is great. I do think the longer you swim, the more endurance you will develop and the less problems you will have with breathing. If you don't have the problem swimming slower, I would suggest that you try doing some sets where you do easy, moderate, hard swims paying attention to the differences in your breathing on each part and see what changes in your breathing rhythm or technique as you go faster. Part of the problem may be timing of your breaths when you have faster turnover of your arms. Maybe doing the moderate swim will help you find the problem. As Celestial suggested, a swim snorkel would allow you to build your endurance in the water which might help the breathing problem too. If you have not seen them, the new swim snorkels are made for competitive swimmers and help streamline and balance your stroke (eg. www.finisinc.com). Good luck to you.
  • db2512- It sounds like you have done really well ... 29 for a 50 free after 2 months in the water and what you have been through is great. I do think the longer you swim, the more endurance you will develop and the less problems you will have with breathing. If you don't have the problem swimming slower, I would suggest that you try doing some sets where you do easy, moderate, hard swims paying attention to the differences in your breathing on each part and see what changes in your breathing rhythm or technique as you go faster. Part of the problem may be timing of your breaths when you have faster turnover of your arms. Maybe doing the moderate swim will help you find the problem. As Celestial suggested, a swim snorkel would allow you to build your endurance in the water which might help the breathing problem too. If you have not seen them, the new swim snorkels are made for competitive swimmers and help streamline and balance your stroke (eg. www.finisinc.com). Good luck to you.
Children
No Data