Original King Frog Passes Away

www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../39000.asp I just found out that Chet Jastremski, the originator of the whip kick, and first man under a minute for the 100 yd ***, passed away last month. He was my idol during my early Breaststroke days. I had just started swimming again in '72 when a DC friend invited me to go to Long Course Nationals in Indianapolis. I passed because I felt I wasn't ready. Later I found out that he had swum. It would have been the only chance for me to see him in person. RIP, Chet! You led the way for all of us.
Parents
  • Chet's stroke her seems to be what was the model of what breaststroke should be when I first started HS swimming in 1969. Allen - I am not a breaststroker, can you comment on his arms in the video? Look's very different from modern breaststrokers to my eye. Maybe it's just how flat the stroke was then compared to the undulation popular now. His pull is a little wider than I like,but there are some modern breaststrokers with similar pulls.The big thing is that since you had to keep part of you head above the water at all times the stroke was much flatter with less glide. His pull was actually compact for the time.
  • Chet's stroke her seems to be what was the model of what breaststroke should be when I first started HS swimming in 1969. Allen - I am not a breaststroker, can you comment on his arms in the video? Look's very different from modern breaststrokers to my eye. Maybe it's just how flat the stroke was then compared to the undulation popular now. His pull is a little wider than I like,but there are some modern breaststrokers with similar pulls.The big thing is that since you had to keep part of you head above the water at all times the stroke was much flatter with less glide. His pull was actually compact for the time.
Children
No Data