Lifeguard intimidation

Former Member
Former Member
One of the reasons I hate swimming in outdoor community/development pools is the lifeguard glare you get when you come in with all your gear, prepared to swim and hour or two. :banana: I've been swimming outside for 25 years in the summer, and find that the guards are mostly all the same - texting, playing ball, sleeping, eating. Heaven forbid, they have to sit up and watch a swimmer. I feel like they really hate when I walk in because they have to actually do their job. I've treated them to lunch, ice cream, treats and some are fine, but overall, they are mostly very lazy. I tell them I had a guard cert, (I can swim better than almost all of them!), and they don't have to sit in the chair, or even watch, but I still feel the glare. I've even encountered a few occasions when the sun was shining and guards claimed they heard thunder. What happened to the good old days when guards sat in the chair and did their job without resentment? I only see that type of mentality at the indoor pools. On rainy days, they really give me the evil eye. :badday:
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have witnessed guards going into the office and leaving the pool, therapy pool and hot tub unattended at our indoor fitness center. It terrifies me to think they could be so apathetic. Here is a story about a "swimming monitor" who was charged with involuntary manslaughter at a high school in Detroit. He went into the locker room to change out of his street clothes before attempting to rescue a student who was having trouble in the water: www.myfoxdetroit.com/.../east-detroti-teacher-charged-in-students-drowning
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have witnessed guards going into the office and leaving the pool, therapy pool and hot tub unattended at our indoor fitness center. It terrifies me to think they could be so apathetic. Here is a story about a "swimming monitor" who was charged with involuntary manslaughter at a high school in Detroit. He went into the locker room to change out of his street clothes before attempting to rescue a student who was having trouble in the water: www.myfoxdetroit.com/.../east-detroti-teacher-charged-in-students-drowning
Children
No Data