Improving my 1000 meter times

Former Member
Former Member
During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB
Parents
  • Hi RunningBehind the time has come for you to swim ahead once a month your coach times you for a 1000 meter freestyle your PR is 20:44 & you'd like to go 19:59 your goal is VERY achievable, you don't know where to start. Drills? Probably Out of water exercises? Probably not Just swim more? Probably do you train in a long course meter pool or a short course meter pool? the 100 pace for a 20:44 1000 is 2:04.4 the 100 pace for a 19:59 1000 is 1:59.9 neither are very fast Your biggest quickest improvements will come from: 1) Improving your technique: which is push offs & streamlining, turns, and how you swim. 2) Improve your conditioning, how many times a week do you swim? how far do you go per practice? SWIM FASTER IN PRACTICE 3) Improve your speed, the pace you can hold for 10 100's is directly related to your time for 1 100 4) Wear a faster suit during your test swim 5) if you're hairy, shave before your test swim 6) DRAFT OFF SOMEONE, swim directly behind someone who is slightly faster than you. 7) improve your splitting or pacing, the best way to swim 1000 meters is to even split it or negative split it. 8) improve your kick, learn how to do a quick flick kick Swim FASTER FASTER has a ton of ideas
  • Hi RunningBehind the time has come for you to swim ahead once a month your coach times you for a 1000 meter freestyle your PR is 20:44 & you'd like to go 19:59 your goal is VERY achievable, you don't know where to start. Drills? Probably Out of water exercises? Probably not Just swim more? Probably do you train in a long course meter pool or a short course meter pool? the 100 pace for a 20:44 1000 is 2:04.4 the 100 pace for a 19:59 1000 is 1:59.9 neither are very fast Your biggest quickest improvements will come from: 1) Improving your technique: which is push offs & streamlining, turns, and how you swim. 2) Improve your conditioning, how many times a week do you swim? how far do you go per practice? SWIM FASTER IN PRACTICE 3) Improve your speed, the pace you can hold for 10 100's is directly related to your time for 1 100 4) Wear a faster suit during your test swim 5) if you're hairy, shave before your test swim 6) DRAFT OFF SOMEONE, swim directly behind someone who is slightly faster than you. 7) improve your splitting or pacing, the best way to swim 1000 meters is to even split it or negative split it. 8) improve your kick, learn how to do a quick flick kick Swim FASTER FASTER has a ton of ideas
Children
No Data