Improving my 1000 meter times

Former Member
Former Member
During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB
Parents
  • Get private lessons. I agree with this part, anyway, but who cares about the turns if your racing focus is in open water? If you improve your time for 1000m in a pool by improving your turns, you haven't done anything for your open water speed. To get faster by any significant degree, you need major improvements in your swim technique. No doubt you can make those improvements, but just doing more of whatever you are presently doing, or at a higher intensity, is not going to get you there. You need some focused coaching by a skillful observer and teacher. Also, to reinforce and maintain that good technique you also need to swim 3-5x per week, not 1-2x.
  • Get private lessons. I agree with this part, anyway, but who cares about the turns if your racing focus is in open water? If you improve your time for 1000m in a pool by improving your turns, you haven't done anything for your open water speed. To get faster by any significant degree, you need major improvements in your swim technique. No doubt you can make those improvements, but just doing more of whatever you are presently doing, or at a higher intensity, is not going to get you there. You need some focused coaching by a skillful observer and teacher. Also, to reinforce and maintain that good technique you also need to swim 3-5x per week, not 1-2x.
Children
No Data