Improving my 1000 meter times

Former Member
Former Member
During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB
Parents
  • To augment the excellent advice thus far: Ask for feedback from several different willing swimmers/coaches. Write down all the points mentioned for areas to work on so you have a plan. Some drills can provide flaw specific corrective action when done properly. Also, You can even have someone video your stroke at various angles (under surface even better). You can and post here for additional pointers. Always keep in mind that chronic mechanical mistakes in stroke can lead to joint problems and to treat any resulting pain is a warning indication.
  • To augment the excellent advice thus far: Ask for feedback from several different willing swimmers/coaches. Write down all the points mentioned for areas to work on so you have a plan. Some drills can provide flaw specific corrective action when done properly. Also, You can even have someone video your stroke at various angles (under surface even better). You can and post here for additional pointers. Always keep in mind that chronic mechanical mistakes in stroke can lead to joint problems and to treat any resulting pain is a warning indication.
Children
No Data