Improving my 1000 meter times

Former Member
Former Member
During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB
Parents
  • During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB There are two aspects to lowering times when swimming distance events. Holding good technique is essential, even when you are tired. As you get tired your body tries to compensate and thats when technique/body position falls apart. The second is improving conditioning which can be done through interval training. To improve conditioning I would stay away from 100's, instead I would swim mid distance main sets (ex. 4 X 300's on a specific interval) focusing on proper technique at first. As your conditioning/technique improves you can work on decending each 300 or decending the second 150 of each 300 swim. Every two weeks I would try and swim a full 1000 and record my time ( helps to keep you motivated). Turns play a critical role in distance swimming events. Everyone always focuses on the actual flip turn, but the turn starts once you hit the flags and ends once you pass the flags. My general rule of thumb is not breathing into and out of turns and hitting the wall hard each time. A good underwater streamline is also essential ( you swim less!). One mistake that many swimmers commit is focusing on multiple things at once. Try focusing on one thing at a time, be patient and most importantly swim fast and have fun!
  • During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB There are two aspects to lowering times when swimming distance events. Holding good technique is essential, even when you are tired. As you get tired your body tries to compensate and thats when technique/body position falls apart. The second is improving conditioning which can be done through interval training. To improve conditioning I would stay away from 100's, instead I would swim mid distance main sets (ex. 4 X 300's on a specific interval) focusing on proper technique at first. As your conditioning/technique improves you can work on decending each 300 or decending the second 150 of each 300 swim. Every two weeks I would try and swim a full 1000 and record my time ( helps to keep you motivated). Turns play a critical role in distance swimming events. Everyone always focuses on the actual flip turn, but the turn starts once you hit the flags and ends once you pass the flags. My general rule of thumb is not breathing into and out of turns and hitting the wall hard each time. A good underwater streamline is also essential ( you swim less!). One mistake that many swimmers commit is focusing on multiple things at once. Try focusing on one thing at a time, be patient and most importantly swim fast and have fun!
Children
No Data