Improving my 1000 meter times

Former Member
Former Member
During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB
Parents
  • Thank you all. I'm a 40 year old guy, swimming for about 16 months now with my local masters group as training for several olympic and half iron triathlons. So I'm in decent shape, but the real-world got very busy and I was not able to make it into the workouts twice a week this Spring. I think that was a big contributor to my times. With the summer coming, and no formal tri's on my schedule, I wanted to have a goal for myself to stay motivated and focused during my swimming this summer. Interval training was one of the answers I was hoping would come from this thread. I also wanted to work on my turns (I can't do flip turns yet) to see if I could shave off some time that way. Finally, I just think that if I can get back into the water 2-3 times per week, my swim fitness will improve. I appreciate all the responses! Get private lessons or whatever it takes to learn flip turns.Once you have learned the turn,never do any other turn while swimming free.Pretty soon it will be second nature. This will save you at least .5 sec/turn.
  • Thank you all. I'm a 40 year old guy, swimming for about 16 months now with my local masters group as training for several olympic and half iron triathlons. So I'm in decent shape, but the real-world got very busy and I was not able to make it into the workouts twice a week this Spring. I think that was a big contributor to my times. With the summer coming, and no formal tri's on my schedule, I wanted to have a goal for myself to stay motivated and focused during my swimming this summer. Interval training was one of the answers I was hoping would come from this thread. I also wanted to work on my turns (I can't do flip turns yet) to see if I could shave off some time that way. Finally, I just think that if I can get back into the water 2-3 times per week, my swim fitness will improve. I appreciate all the responses! Get private lessons or whatever it takes to learn flip turns.Once you have learned the turn,never do any other turn while swimming free.Pretty soon it will be second nature. This will save you at least .5 sec/turn.
Children
No Data