Improving my 1000 meter times

Former Member
Former Member
During my Friday night masters workouts, once a month the coach times us on our 1000 meter freestyle set of the workout. As my goal for the summer, I'd like to try to improve my PR from 20:44 to 19:59. I think this goal is achievable, but I don't know where to start. Drills? Out of water exercises? Just swim more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -RB
Parents
  • It is how you swim the event. Better technique will certainly help, along with faster turns. But doing nothing else to prepare, all you have to do is swim a little differently. Many people like to set a pace and hang on that all the way through. If you have a good sense of pace, by all means go that way. If you are unsure about your pace, try this: divide the swim into three pieces. The beginning piece, swim very relaxed, not much faster than your warmup effort. The second piece, increase effort a little each lap, just enough to know that you have sped up slightly. The third piece, haul buns. You are near the end and you have had a terrific warmup. You will be tired, but find that you can continue at full speed for several hundred meters. The size of the pieces is up to you and how you are feeling during the swim. I usually use 30%, 40%, 30% because I need symmetry. Good luck!
  • It is how you swim the event. Better technique will certainly help, along with faster turns. But doing nothing else to prepare, all you have to do is swim a little differently. Many people like to set a pace and hang on that all the way through. If you have a good sense of pace, by all means go that way. If you are unsure about your pace, try this: divide the swim into three pieces. The beginning piece, swim very relaxed, not much faster than your warmup effort. The second piece, increase effort a little each lap, just enough to know that you have sped up slightly. The third piece, haul buns. You are near the end and you have had a terrific warmup. You will be tired, but find that you can continue at full speed for several hundred meters. The size of the pieces is up to you and how you are feeling during the swim. I usually use 30%, 40%, 30% because I need symmetry. Good luck!
Children
No Data