Newbie Lap Counting Question

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All, So I've gotten back into swimming as part of my fitness regime and had a question many might think is basic, but I'm interested in your thoughts. I usually do longer swims as opposed to interval training. My go to swim is 2000yds which is usually around 40min, give or take. 2 weeks ago I clocked 39:25 which was great - during the next swim a couple of days later I thought "I might even beat that" only to finish with a 46:20. I was really surprised (and bummed). The next swim was 40:35. So I was thinking... I may have lost count and added a couple of laps to the longer time or dropped a couple on the shorter. I had a lap counter watch which got moisture inside and stopped working a while ago, and frankly was kind of a pain to hit the little button at the top of each lap - I found it distracting. My question: What do you do to make sure you're accurately counting laps on longer swims? I'm going to move to 2500yds soon and fear that may be more of a count problem. Thanks in advance for your time and any help you can offer. Cheers, Chris
Parents
  • I have that same lap counter Elaine linked to and love it. I just click it at one end of the pool every time just before the turn. Between that and a rough estimate on time on when I should be at a certain place, and it all falls into place. Cracks me up when some of the guys will stop and look at me to see if we're done yet knowing I'm the only one with a counter.
  • I have that same lap counter Elaine linked to and love it. I just click it at one end of the pool every time just before the turn. Between that and a rough estimate on time on when I should be at a certain place, and it all falls into place. Cracks me up when some of the guys will stop and look at me to see if we're done yet knowing I'm the only one with a counter.
Children
No Data