Newbie Lap Counting Question

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All, So I've gotten back into swimming as part of my fitness regime and had a question many might think is basic, but I'm interested in your thoughts. I usually do longer swims as opposed to interval training. My go to swim is 2000yds which is usually around 40min, give or take. 2 weeks ago I clocked 39:25 which was great - during the next swim a couple of days later I thought "I might even beat that" only to finish with a 46:20. I was really surprised (and bummed). The next swim was 40:35. So I was thinking... I may have lost count and added a couple of laps to the longer time or dropped a couple on the shorter. I had a lap counter watch which got moisture inside and stopped working a while ago, and frankly was kind of a pain to hit the little button at the top of each lap - I found it distracting. My question: What do you do to make sure you're accurately counting laps on longer swims? I'm going to move to 2500yds soon and fear that may be more of a count problem. Thanks in advance for your time and any help you can offer. Cheers, Chris
Parents
  • I count internally and make up little games in my head. E.g. I think about how many laps I've done, what that divides into, how much I have left, and that seems to cement it in my brain. Sometimes I'll say the number sort of out loud. What other people have said about having a pace and checking that on the clock is also good. Without having intervals you could also do something different every fifth length, 7th length, or whatever (better if it's an odd number--keeps you alert and going in a different direction than the last one helps you remember). Examples: backstroke, fingertip drag, breathe every third, kick harder, go faster, etc.
  • I count internally and make up little games in my head. E.g. I think about how many laps I've done, what that divides into, how much I have left, and that seems to cement it in my brain. Sometimes I'll say the number sort of out loud. What other people have said about having a pace and checking that on the clock is also good. Without having intervals you could also do something different every fifth length, 7th length, or whatever (better if it's an odd number--keeps you alert and going in a different direction than the last one helps you remember). Examples: backstroke, fingertip drag, breathe every third, kick harder, go faster, etc.
Children
No Data