Training & Tapering for Worlds & Nats

These are my chosen race events for World's, August 3-9: 800fr, 400IM, 50Br, 200Br, 200Fly, any/all relays when possible At Nationals, August 13-17, I'll be racing: 200Fly, 400IM, 200Br, any/all relays when possible In between Worlds and Nats, we will be visiting Quebec City and have access to a community pool just a couple of blocks away from our apartment. Question: How do I train/ taper for these meets??? I currently train with my coach/training partner on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and our yardage totals 4,000 each workout. The emphasis of our workouts is for 400 IM and longer races, although we do some sprints each workout. On Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays my yardage total is 2,500. Mondays and Saturdays are my sprint-focused days, and I take Wednesdays off. Although I will only be racing three individual events at Nationals, I would like for that to be my taper meet. How should I manage my yardage before World's and during the break before Nationals? Although I would like for Nationals to be my taper meet, I want to feel rested and do well at Worlds (relative to my own times, that is). Thanks for any advice you can offer! :agree:
Parents
  • If it were me I'd do a simple drop taper before Worlds. So just train like you normally do and then rest the two days before Worlds doing a typical meet warmup those days. Worlds will then be sort of the start of your taper. With warming up, warming down and racing you'll get sufficient work the days you're swimming at worlds and then start dropping the meterage until Nationals. Keep in mind the mental aspect can be more difficult than the physical. You've really got to stay focused on the end goal, which is Nationals. Your advice makes sense, too, Kirk. Really, my main goal is to have fun at both meets :groovy:, although I do hope to do well. After playing tourist in Quebec City, it may be a challenge to get my focus back; however, I will do my best! Thanks for your suggestions! :applaud:
  • If it were me I'd do a simple drop taper before Worlds. So just train like you normally do and then rest the two days before Worlds doing a typical meet warmup those days. Worlds will then be sort of the start of your taper. With warming up, warming down and racing you'll get sufficient work the days you're swimming at worlds and then start dropping the meterage until Nationals. Keep in mind the mental aspect can be more difficult than the physical. You've really got to stay focused on the end goal, which is Nationals. Your advice makes sense, too, Kirk. Really, my main goal is to have fun at both meets :groovy:, although I do hope to do well. After playing tourist in Quebec City, it may be a challenge to get my focus back; however, I will do my best! Thanks for your suggestions! :applaud:
Children
No Data