New to Swimming - Question on Rate of Improvement

Former Member
Former Member
I'm new to swimming and have been working my way up in distance. Finally have a mile down in 44 minutes. I'd like to improve my speed, so I'm going to join a Masters swim class, but I'm wondering what to expect about my rate of improvement. If I do a class one time a week, how quickly do you think I'll improve my mile time over the course of a month? Two months? What if I double to two classes a week? Three classes a week? I know it'll be highly variable upon the workout / class, but just wondering if there's a rule of thumb out the for training.
  • While in swimming strength and conditioning are important,technique is more important.It is very likely you will get a big improvement from one lesson.
  • I've never tracked my speed/distance, since I'm a pretty slow swimmer and new to the sport, and I'm just trying to get fit. But like in any sport, if you can get one or two classes in each week and practice what you've learned on other days, you'll improve. The pace depends on your fitness and skill level and where you started, but your goals seem pretty reasonable.