2014 Nathan Adrian's 41.13 100 Freestyle

Best Video of 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist Nathan Adrian's 41.13 100 Freestyle at the 2014 USMS Masters Nationals in Santa Clara CA on Sat May 3rd, 2014 http://youtu.be/igb1wg7phMs
  • One of the most amazing swims I've ever seen! I remember watching Tom Jager go 19.05 in 1991 at the last scy Senior Nationals. It was quite some time before that was tied by David Fox. Now low 19 second 50s are common. Way to go Nathan! Oh yes, and being that this a post about his 100, I could have sworn I was watching the 50 free when he was swimming the first 50 of the 100. Simply amazing!
  • I am confused here. Shouldn't this have happened to every swimmer that went under 20 seconds? From the Omega Ares 21 User Manual ( I believe Ares was used at nationals) Note- The example in the manual is for a long course pool with pads at both ends. The bolding is mine, not the manuals. 5.3.7 Arming delay This dialog is accessed from the Race window, with the menu . This option controls the automatic arming process. There are two arming delays to enter: 1. During the race : The arming delay should be a little less than the fastest time a swimmer can swim back and forth along the pool. 2. Just after the start : The arming delay should be a little less than the fastest time a swimmer can swim from the start until the opposite end.
  • I stopped in at practice yesterday to chat with my coach about how my meet went and told him about this. He said a similar thing happened at the Washington High School State meet a few years ago. Sean Sussex (some of you might know his dad, Steve) went under 20 seconds leading off the relay, but his split wasn't recorded because of the 20 second arming delay. He was the first Washington high schooler to swim a sub 20 second 50 and it didn't count because of this. Oops. I am confused here. Shouldn't this have happened to every swimmer that went under 20 seconds? Anthony Ervin went 19.33 in an earlier heat so why didn't he have this same problem. William Copeland and Christopher Peterson also went under 20 seconds just barely so they should have the same problem to. I believe the arming delay was discovered after the event was over judging by how the results were changed for Nathan Adrian. So with these facts I am confused why there was not a timing difference in the other swimmers.
  • I have to assume they realized this would be an issue on the 50s and had the system set up differently.