2014 Nathan Adrian's 41.13 100 Freestyle

Best Video of 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist Nathan Adrian's 41.13 100 Freestyle at the 2014 USMS Masters Nationals in Santa Clara CA on Sat May 3rd, 2014 http://youtu.be/igb1wg7phMs
Parents
  • as someone that deals with picoseconds on a daily basis, something seems very "fishy" to me about the adding of 5 hundredths to his time. 1) how do you get a 19.74 split if the pad doesnt arm till 20.00 ? there should be no split time! 2) how do you get a 21.39 split if the pad wasnt armed for the 1st split? you wouldnt know the last 50 split because there was no 1st 50 split! 3) if the pad wasnt armed for his 1st split, why did that impact his finish time when it would never have had a 20sec disarm since he was already gone at the 20sec from the start? 4) the only valid time should be the 41.08 that "somehow" got changed to 41.13 because of some 20secs that he was not even on the pad to activate! Agreed. It doesn't make any sense to me, and speaking to timing system operators (at both USS and USMS meets), a 20 second delay is definitely excessive. Sounds to me like a combination of operator error (given the caliber of swimmers in that heat, the timing operator should have manually armed the pads) and boneheaded timing policies by USMS--there's no reason to have a 20 second arming delay built in when the event is neither a relay nor using flyover starts. Sure, keep a 5-10 second arming delay, but 20, really?
  • as someone that deals with picoseconds on a daily basis, something seems very "fishy" to me about the adding of 5 hundredths to his time. 1) how do you get a 19.74 split if the pad doesnt arm till 20.00 ? there should be no split time! 2) how do you get a 21.39 split if the pad wasnt armed for the 1st split? you wouldnt know the last 50 split because there was no 1st 50 split! 3) if the pad wasnt armed for his 1st split, why did that impact his finish time when it would never have had a 20sec disarm since he was already gone at the 20sec from the start? 4) the only valid time should be the 41.08 that "somehow" got changed to 41.13 because of some 20secs that he was not even on the pad to activate! Agreed. It doesn't make any sense to me, and speaking to timing system operators (at both USS and USMS meets), a 20 second delay is definitely excessive. Sounds to me like a combination of operator error (given the caliber of swimmers in that heat, the timing operator should have manually armed the pads) and boneheaded timing policies by USMS--there's no reason to have a 20 second arming delay built in when the event is neither a relay nor using flyover starts. Sure, keep a 5-10 second arming delay, but 20, really?
Children
No Data