USMS Swimmers training on a USA Swimming Team

I am fully aware of what is required if a USA Swimming athlete (i.e. - age grouper) swims with my Masters team. But, I have a Masters swimmer that would like to train every now and again with the age group team. I have looked on the USA Swimming site for direction but can't find any. I know with the emphasis on safe sport we have to make sure everything is by the rules. Does anyone know how this works or what the requirements are? Thank you. Bill
Parents
  • I am not aware of any restrictions, assuming that the masters swimmer is also a USA-S member. (If s/he isn't then I suspect USA-S has restrictions on non-members swimming with the team, regardless of age or USMS membership.) It is kind of odd when you think about it. If I'm swimming with a USA-S team, the coach on the deck (often younger than I) has to undergo background checks and whatnot while I am actually in the water with these young swimmers without anything of the sort. Heck, my wife is a computer operator at USA-S meets -- never interacting with swimmers AT ALL -- and had to undergo those same checks. My recollection is that the "separate lanes for warm up and warm down" requirement in USA-S/USMS dual sanctioned meets (Appendix B pp 144-145 in the 2014 USMS Rule Book) originated from the USA-S side of things because of their concerns for safe sport. But this concern hasn't trickled down to USA-S practices AFAIK. I suspect it is a "see no evil" kind of thing, that just one complaint to the USA-S national office might result in such regulation. we have locker room of over lap with the USAS kids and because we are also athletes it's all okay. we cannot be in the locker room with the locL high school team..it's all so weird.
  • I am not aware of any restrictions, assuming that the masters swimmer is also a USA-S member. (If s/he isn't then I suspect USA-S has restrictions on non-members swimming with the team, regardless of age or USMS membership.) It is kind of odd when you think about it. If I'm swimming with a USA-S team, the coach on the deck (often younger than I) has to undergo background checks and whatnot while I am actually in the water with these young swimmers without anything of the sort. Heck, my wife is a computer operator at USA-S meets -- never interacting with swimmers AT ALL -- and had to undergo those same checks. My recollection is that the "separate lanes for warm up and warm down" requirement in USA-S/USMS dual sanctioned meets (Appendix B pp 144-145 in the 2014 USMS Rule Book) originated from the USA-S side of things because of their concerns for safe sport. But this concern hasn't trickled down to USA-S practices AFAIK. I suspect it is a "see no evil" kind of thing, that just one complaint to the USA-S national office might result in such regulation. we have locker room of over lap with the USAS kids and because we are also athletes it's all okay. we cannot be in the locker room with the locL high school team..it's all so weird.
Children
No Data