USMS Swimmers training on a USA Swimming Team

I am fully aware of what is required if a USA Swimming athlete (i.e. - age grouper) swims with my Masters team. But, I have a Masters swimmer that would like to train every now and again with the age group team. I have looked on the USA Swimming site for direction but can't find any. I know with the emphasis on safe sport we have to make sure everything is by the rules. Does anyone know how this works or what the requirements are? Thank you. Bill
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Bill, From what I can tell, having trained with age groupers every so often, as long as the athlete is usa registered and the coaches are ok with the person swimming with kids, it doesn't appear to be an issue. My coaches said that as long as I give the best effort possible each day, try to be encouraging, and an example of leadership for the kids(even though I wouldn't be the fastest) they thought it would be a good thing. Now, we did have an agreement in place that if any parents or even the kids didn't like the idea of an adult swimming with them, I just train with masters group unless we didn't have practice. The pool is big enough they would give me my own lane on days when we didn't practice for some reason. I would talk with your adult swimmer about training with the kids. I would make it clear of your expectations and that if any parent or child expressed concerns with you, then the adult swimmer may need to go back to masters practices.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Bill, From what I can tell, having trained with age groupers every so often, as long as the athlete is usa registered and the coaches are ok with the person swimming with kids, it doesn't appear to be an issue. My coaches said that as long as I give the best effort possible each day, try to be encouraging, and an example of leadership for the kids(even though I wouldn't be the fastest) they thought it would be a good thing. Now, we did have an agreement in place that if any parents or even the kids didn't like the idea of an adult swimming with them, I just train with masters group unless we didn't have practice. The pool is big enough they would give me my own lane on days when we didn't practice for some reason. I would talk with your adult swimmer about training with the kids. I would make it clear of your expectations and that if any parent or child expressed concerns with you, then the adult swimmer may need to go back to masters practices.
Children
No Data