Changing sides... your breathing

I got an email today about bilateral breathing and the more I read it, the more it got me thinking. I do 99% of my breathing on the right side. In fact at last weekend's OW swim, the bouys were all left turns and the only time I made a concious effort to breathe to that side was around the turns (mainly to stretch my neck a bit at a point that made sense.) After reading this blog as well as some other stuff, I might be convinced to make an efffort to breathe left for longer periods. Has anyone else trained themselves to breathe on their "bad" side and did you see any unexpected improvments like this guy did in his blog? www.feelforthewater.com/.../joel-uses-his-bad-side-to-come-good.html I realze that breathing every 3 strokes makes sense to keep balanced, but what about completely switching sides?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I began breathing bilaterally nearly ten years ago. After several months it finally began to feel natural. For me the benefit has been a more balanced stroke and fewer shoulder problems. As for speed, I recently swam a PR in the 1650 breathing bilaterally.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I began breathing bilaterally nearly ten years ago. After several months it finally began to feel natural. For me the benefit has been a more balanced stroke and fewer shoulder problems. As for speed, I recently swam a PR in the 1650 breathing bilaterally.
Children
No Data