Changing sides... your breathing

I got an email today about bilateral breathing and the more I read it, the more it got me thinking. I do 99% of my breathing on the right side. In fact at last weekend's OW swim, the bouys were all left turns and the only time I made a concious effort to breathe to that side was around the turns (mainly to stretch my neck a bit at a point that made sense.) After reading this blog as well as some other stuff, I might be convinced to make an efffort to breathe left for longer periods. Has anyone else trained themselves to breathe on their "bad" side and did you see any unexpected improvments like this guy did in his blog? www.feelforthewater.com/.../joel-uses-his-bad-side-to-come-good.html I realze that breathing every 3 strokes makes sense to keep balanced, but what about completely switching sides?
Parents
  • Yes. I was always a natural left breather (even though I am right-handed). When I returned to swimming after 31 years, I joined USMS and read the Forums to pick up some tips on technique and avoiding repetitive stress injuries. After experiencing several RSI's and having a major shoulder surgery for one of them, the last thing I wanted to do was get injured in the pool! I taught myself how to breathe on the right which was frustrating at first. I kept getting water in my ear and had to use an ear plug for the longest time until I got my head angle right. It was quite uncomfortable for me until I finally got it right. I need to breathe every stroke, so I typically breathe to the left when I go down the pool and breathe to the right coming back. This is how I keep the muscles in my shoulders and neck balanced. In a race that is any longer than a 50, I will do the same thing with the exception of the last 50 in a 400 IM. During open water swims, I will take turns breathing on each side depending on where my competition is and where the buoys are. Definitely give it a shot, flystorms. It may be uncomforable at first, but you'll get used to it. :agree:
  • Yes. I was always a natural left breather (even though I am right-handed). When I returned to swimming after 31 years, I joined USMS and read the Forums to pick up some tips on technique and avoiding repetitive stress injuries. After experiencing several RSI's and having a major shoulder surgery for one of them, the last thing I wanted to do was get injured in the pool! I taught myself how to breathe on the right which was frustrating at first. I kept getting water in my ear and had to use an ear plug for the longest time until I got my head angle right. It was quite uncomfortable for me until I finally got it right. I need to breathe every stroke, so I typically breathe to the left when I go down the pool and breathe to the right coming back. This is how I keep the muscles in my shoulders and neck balanced. In a race that is any longer than a 50, I will do the same thing with the exception of the last 50 in a 400 IM. During open water swims, I will take turns breathing on each side depending on where my competition is and where the buoys are. Definitely give it a shot, flystorms. It may be uncomforable at first, but you'll get used to it. :agree:
Children
No Data