Pain in the neck

About a month ago I started getting cricks on the right side of my neck after workouts.....sharp stabbing pain on moving my head that stretches from top of the shoulder to behind my ear. It seems to be getting worse. I've been working on improving my catch and early vertical forearm, and the pain started about when I thought I'd finally gotten it right (got faster, too!). But I also increased my stroke rate and bilateral breathing (more breathing to the right, not always just left), confounding the picture. Does anyone know about this, or have any thoughts? Thanks Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
Parents
  • In addition to following medical advice from your doctor, do you have a coach or independent stroke technique analyst to take a look at how you are swimming? There could be a variety of reasons for your pain. We at Swimspire often work on developing swimmers' symmetry in the water - the right side must be equal to the left in strength and balance. Since you have recently changed your stroke, and are heading towards a more symmetrical stroke, the muscles on your left side might be weaker, and so you might be pushing them too hard after years of being neglected. Or, you might be attempting to correct your stroke, but actually are swimming incorrectly. If your head position is too far down, for example, you could be putting even more pressure on your neck. This is why it would be best for you to get your stroke analyzed and seek guidance on how best to change your stroke without continuing to injure yourself. A coach or independent analyst will be able to see if your stroke is causing the pain, or whether it is something entirely independent of swimming. Good luck!
  • In addition to following medical advice from your doctor, do you have a coach or independent stroke technique analyst to take a look at how you are swimming? There could be a variety of reasons for your pain. We at Swimspire often work on developing swimmers' symmetry in the water - the right side must be equal to the left in strength and balance. Since you have recently changed your stroke, and are heading towards a more symmetrical stroke, the muscles on your left side might be weaker, and so you might be pushing them too hard after years of being neglected. Or, you might be attempting to correct your stroke, but actually are swimming incorrectly. If your head position is too far down, for example, you could be putting even more pressure on your neck. This is why it would be best for you to get your stroke analyzed and seek guidance on how best to change your stroke without continuing to injure yourself. A coach or independent analyst will be able to see if your stroke is causing the pain, or whether it is something entirely independent of swimming. Good luck!
Children
No Data