500 free - what stroke/s are acceptable? Can I mix them?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm doing some 500's, have always done what most call freestyle. Can I ever mix in other strokes? Do I need to do the same stroke throughout? I'd love to do some backstroke during it. Am also aiming for an 800. I've read the rulebook and either not understood or not seen an answer to my questions. Thanks! I've only been racing 3 years. Debra, Ohio :)
Parents
  • it is possible(but unlikely for most swimmers) to swim BR in such a manner that it is legal in a BR race,but not in a free race(either by going beyond 15M on the pullout or submerging your entire body during the stroke.) The flip side is true too. One can swim fly in a manner that would get you DQ'd in a fly race (eg one handed turns) but not in a 500 free.
  • it is possible(but unlikely for most swimmers) to swim BR in such a manner that it is legal in a BR race,but not in a free race(either by going beyond 15M on the pullout or submerging your entire body during the stroke.) The flip side is true too. One can swim fly in a manner that would get you DQ'd in a fly race (eg one handed turns) but not in a 500 free.
Children
No Data