500 free - what stroke/s are acceptable? Can I mix them?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm doing some 500's, have always done what most call freestyle. Can I ever mix in other strokes? Do I need to do the same stroke throughout? I'd love to do some backstroke during it. Am also aiming for an 800. I've read the rulebook and either not understood or not seen an answer to my questions. Thanks! I've only been racing 3 years. Debra, Ohio :)
Parents
  • Freestyle is any style.The only real exception to that is that you must stay at the surface after 15M from the start and turn.That rule applies to fly and BK also ,but not BR,therefore, is is possible(but unlikely for most swimmers) to swim BR in such a manner that it is legal in a BR race,but not in a free race(either by going beyond 15M on the pullout or submerging your entire body during the stroke.)
  • Freestyle is any style.The only real exception to that is that you must stay at the surface after 15M from the start and turn.That rule applies to fly and BK also ,but not BR,therefore, is is possible(but unlikely for most swimmers) to swim BR in such a manner that it is legal in a BR race,but not in a free race(either by going beyond 15M on the pullout or submerging your entire body during the stroke.)
Children
No Data