Visiting Fla from UK - Training + Rowdy Gaines Classic

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to come over the pond in early October to train with St Peters Masters - culminating in entering the Rowdy Gaines Classic 10-12 October in Orlando. I have cleared what I need to do to enter as a non-USMS member but wondered if anyone has any ideas/suggestions as to how best use my time during my visit. Would love to stay with a masters-obsessed family. Happy to pay board & lodging. Please respond or PM me if interested
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. I am quite new to Masters swimming so not too knowledgeable about different clubs. Corby where I used to be a member is a new International 50m pool and they have masters training 3-4 times a week but only a handful of members. It is about 20 miles from Northampton. You could post on a UK masters forum to get better advice for the Oxford region. Hereford, Gloucester and Birmingham Masters swimmers are regular posters: www.swimmingforum.co.uk/ General pool/club finder here: www.swimming.org/poolfinder You could visit me, stay with my family (as a guest – no charge!) and swim in Uppingham, Rutland: 40 miles from Northampton. Let me know nearer the time. I run a small swim training group for tirathletes and ironmen 3 mornings a week but also do my sprints training here: sportscentre.uppingham.co.uk/.../swimming-pool-timetable We could also swim in Rutland Water: inspire2tri.com/.../open-water-swimming-events-in-rutland-water There are currently 3 advertised competitions in the UK in September. One is on the beautiful island of Jersey which I will be going to. They have every distance from 25m to 1500m for freestyle + an open water event in the sea on the Sunday. It is a 50 minute flight from Birmingham – nearest airport to Oxford. I saw Kirsten Cameron smash the world 800m free record there last September. A very friendly meet and nice medals! UK Masters calendar: www.swimming.org/.../competition-events If you are into wild swimming then a trip to Wales, Snowdonia to swim in mountain lakes might be an idea. www.wildswimming.co.uk/.../ UK-David - Thanks for the information I appreciate your help. As I get closer to the time I will get back to you on my plans and let you know what I intend to do. Hopefully we get to swim together. Also how long do you plan to be here in the US when you visit?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. I am quite new to Masters swimming so not too knowledgeable about different clubs. Corby where I used to be a member is a new International 50m pool and they have masters training 3-4 times a week but only a handful of members. It is about 20 miles from Northampton. You could post on a UK masters forum to get better advice for the Oxford region. Hereford, Gloucester and Birmingham Masters swimmers are regular posters: www.swimmingforum.co.uk/ General pool/club finder here: www.swimming.org/poolfinder You could visit me, stay with my family (as a guest – no charge!) and swim in Uppingham, Rutland: 40 miles from Northampton. Let me know nearer the time. I run a small swim training group for tirathletes and ironmen 3 mornings a week but also do my sprints training here: sportscentre.uppingham.co.uk/.../swimming-pool-timetable We could also swim in Rutland Water: inspire2tri.com/.../open-water-swimming-events-in-rutland-water There are currently 3 advertised competitions in the UK in September. One is on the beautiful island of Jersey which I will be going to. They have every distance from 25m to 1500m for freestyle + an open water event in the sea on the Sunday. It is a 50 minute flight from Birmingham – nearest airport to Oxford. I saw Kirsten Cameron smash the world 800m free record there last September. A very friendly meet and nice medals! UK Masters calendar: www.swimming.org/.../competition-events If you are into wild swimming then a trip to Wales, Snowdonia to swim in mountain lakes might be an idea. www.wildswimming.co.uk/.../ UK-David - Thanks for the information I appreciate your help. As I get closer to the time I will get back to you on my plans and let you know what I intend to do. Hopefully we get to swim together. Also how long do you plan to be here in the US when you visit?
Children
No Data