Chemical cleaning while swimming

Former Member
Former Member
I swim at a fitness/wellness center. There are masters swim practices, rec swimmers, aqua classes, etc. in the 5 lane 25 yard pool. During lunch hour times, cleaning crew used to tilex the showers in the pool area for an hour. After relentless complaints, they finally stopped (at least while I"m there) They also would run a floor cleaning machine, windex windows, polish the metal all while we are working out. I think it's extremely hazardous to be breathing in these chemicals while we are pushing our lungs to the limit. Recently, the new manager told me they are going green. Unfortunately, I don't believe it, however, I suspect that if this is true, they will now clean while swimmers are present since they are converting to green cleaners. Am I asking too much that they refrain from doing this while swimmers are present? So many of us suffer from allergies, and inhaling chlorine is bad enough, but having to also inhale cleaning solutions IMO is ridiculous. The irony is that this is a WELLNESS center!
Parents
  • I expect them to clean AFTER HOURS!You may need to examine your expectations. If your pool is anything like mine, you will find that management will have staff do as much as possible during regular hours, to cut down on paid hours. Our facility tries to have the pool shut and locked within 15 minutes of closing. And management expects the guards to have the pool clean and ready for the next day before they leave. The only way this works is to have off-shift guards cleaning up throughout the day. Last year I really YELLED at the kids/lifeguards that were cleaning with a strong oder chem. WHILE we were swimming! I urge you not to yell at the lifeguards for doing the job they are told to do. If you have an issue with the performance of the guards or the schedule for pool cleaning schedule, take it up with pool management not the kids trying to hold on to a job. I’d give the same advice to those who curse and scream at the airport gate agents because their airplane is delayed; trust me the gate agent isn’t out to ruin your life, but you are doing a fine job of ruining their day.
  • I expect them to clean AFTER HOURS!You may need to examine your expectations. If your pool is anything like mine, you will find that management will have staff do as much as possible during regular hours, to cut down on paid hours. Our facility tries to have the pool shut and locked within 15 minutes of closing. And management expects the guards to have the pool clean and ready for the next day before they leave. The only way this works is to have off-shift guards cleaning up throughout the day. Last year I really YELLED at the kids/lifeguards that were cleaning with a strong oder chem. WHILE we were swimming! I urge you not to yell at the lifeguards for doing the job they are told to do. If you have an issue with the performance of the guards or the schedule for pool cleaning schedule, take it up with pool management not the kids trying to hold on to a job. I’d give the same advice to those who curse and scream at the airport gate agents because their airplane is delayed; trust me the gate agent isn’t out to ruin your life, but you are doing a fine job of ruining their day.
Children
No Data