More "so and so shouldn't be allowed to set a record" babble

There's a story on swimswam (swimswam.com/.../) about Anthony Ervin swimming at USMS Nationals and the first comment states: There is nothing better than going to a USMS meet and seeing swimmers like Anthony Ervin compete. It makes you feel like a 12 year old fan again! In the same breath I will ask; what is the point of letting their times count as USMS records? They are professional two-a-day swimmers in the same age group categories as young professionals who might make a few practices per week. There is no way real Masters swimmers are able to train to be able to beat them. The professional swimmers wouldn’t be able to beat themselves with the same schedule afforded to the a real Masters swimmer. Thoughts? My thoughts are that this is ridiculous. Anyone who is registered in USMS has as much right to set a record as anyone else. Who exactly is the arbiter of what a "real masters swimmer" is?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I look forward to watching him swim on Saturday! As for the comment you pasted...that's absurd. Edited to add: Somehow I have a hard time believing that the inability (due to job, family, etc) to swim two a day practices is what is holding many masters swimmers back from swimming at the level of Anthony Ervin, Josh Davis, Rowdy Gaines, etc..
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I look forward to watching him swim on Saturday! As for the comment you pasted...that's absurd. Edited to add: Somehow I have a hard time believing that the inability (due to job, family, etc) to swim two a day practices is what is holding many masters swimmers back from swimming at the level of Anthony Ervin, Josh Davis, Rowdy Gaines, etc..
Children
No Data