Ft Myers Places to Swim?

Former Member
Former Member
Any recommendations on good places to swim in Ft Myers? I will be staying close to the beach and was hoping to get any help/recommendations from locals or folks that have stayed there before. "Places to swim" link did not have many suggestions. Thanks
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Do it. Mr. Clarke is one of my all-time favorite teammates! Awww Kirk you are the best! You could meet us there too if you want?
  • Frank, I will most likely swim at the 10AM time and should be there with my daughter most days. Watch out she is really fast but we can draft off her if we work hard. Since I am from the far north just look for the whitest non-tanned guy on deck. :) Chris Chris, looking forward to seeing both of you on deck! If you are not already aware, Fort Myers seasonal visitor volume increases significantly during March into April up to Easter weekend in April. Expect lots of traffic, crowds, particularly around the beach areas, and restaurants are usually full all the time.
  • Former Member
    The FMAC opens at 10am, so that is the time when I usually try to swim, depending on my work schedule and kid's daily activities. Chuck Slaght, the coach I was training with several sessions weekly is based in Naples, and we normally would meet at FGCU, but since the facility closure last December, I have been on my own at FMAC. Sometimes I will do a set with another swimmer and adjust the interval or distance so that we can both be challenged. While recently I have been training more for upcoming OW events, I am very flexible and would be willing to do almost any kind of workout. Depending on the timeframe, I may also be able to arrange some OW swims either in the Gulf or at Miramar lakes. Frank, I will most likely swim at the 10AM time and should be there with my daughter most days. Watch out she is really fast but we can draft off her if we work hard. Since I am from the far north just look for the whitest non-tanned guy on deck. :) Chris
  • Pat yes living in the corn fields of Indiana does tend to narrow the mind a little. Funny I was just looking at an aerial view of Ft Myers yesterday and was thinking it would be cool to swim to Sanibel Island and back but I would probably get arrested for doing that. I will do an open water or two while in town I am sure. Actually, you probably wouldn't get arrested, but while crossing the channel, there would be a high probability of death by boat collision. Some weekends, it's not even safe to cross by boat. :-) It sounds like you are all set, but if it rains, you can cross the bridge into Cape Coral and swim at The Wellness Center: www.leememorial.org/.../index.asp. Only 4 lanes, and sometimes there are classes, but indoors. There is a fee (maybe $10). LMK if you want info.
  • Former Member
    Actually, you probably wouldn't get arrested, but while crossing the channel, there would be a high probability of death by boat collision. Some weekends, it's not even safe to cross by boat. :-) It sounds like you are all set, but if it rains, you can cross the bridge into Cape Coral and swim at The Wellness Center: www.leememorial.org/.../index.asp. Only 4 lanes, and sometimes there are classes, but indoors. There is a fee (maybe $10). LMK if you want info. I ended up swimming with Frank a few times last week. I appreciate you posting another option.