Searing Pain with Knee Flexion

I did a flutter kick set with the Arena Tech Pro Fins, with a lot of flexion. I did go faster:-) However, I now have searing knee pain in my right knee (had ACL repair three years ago in that knee). When my knee is somewhat flexed, I see stars-literally. At that point, my knee has no strength and can't support me, and I'm walking with a pain. The pain is always on the interior side of the knee, at the top of the knee cap. Top, left. Most mornings, I wake up with no pain, and than I make a small movement that I'm unaware of, and POW, I'm reaching anxiously for my cane. I tried butterfly, and had to stop mid-way due to the sharp pain in my knee. The pain appears with a tiny amount of concave flexion. I saw the ortho and he sort of dismissed me and sent me for a strength test and MRI (scheduled for this week). I've been looking online, and it sounds like it could be an MCL issue. Also, am icing and taking ibuprofen. Any thoughts?
  • I think it might be worth mentioning to your ortho whether the pain occurred suddenly during the kick set or developed afterwards. MRI should tell the story. Good luck with it.
  • Had you used these fins before? Watch out when adding new equipment to sets. The added resistance can do more harm than good. Get it cleared before using them again.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Do you wear a knee brace in your normal life?
  • As orca mentioned, you should always approach anything new - whether it is new equipment, or a new type of workout - with caution. Our approach at Swimspire is to avoid using additional swimming equipment unless we are absolutely sure that a) the equipment could be useful to the swimmer; and b) that the swimmer has the appropriate strength and ability to use the equipment. Catchy ads will lure you in with the prospect of enhanced performance, but often new flippers, paddles, pull buoys or kickboards end up being used more as a crutch than a tool for strengthening your endurance or efficiency - and can even result in injury, as in your case. For now, you should modify your workouts to avoid any movement in swimming that gives you pain, in addition to the ice and ibuprofen as necessary, and see what the MRI reveals. All the very best of luck.