500 Fly: worthy challenge or arrogant showboating?

Former Member
Former Member
A kid swam the 500 all fly in a high school dual meet yesterday. His coach was furious and benched him for the rest of the meet. One of my lane mates this morning, who was the Starter at this meet said that was showboating and demeaning to the other competitors. I disagree. Was that any more demeaning than swimming free and lapping people? Plus, I saw the flyer ask everyone in the heat if it would bother them. Even on the blocks he said "Are you sure you guys are OK with this?"
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hmmm, the conditioning from doing 500s Fly may have been useful. The kid who is the subject of this thread is Justin Wright who went from 5th to 1st in the last 50 to win the 200 Fly at Sr. Nationals this week. :applaud:
  • I'm not experienced re hs swimming and the various rules/expectations. But if the idea is generally frowned upon, it seems more communication was needed between the swimmer and the coach before he went ahead with fly, at least touching base with the coach to say what he wanted to do. If he just wanted a 500 fly time in competition, maybe the coach could help him find opportunities for that. If he springs it on the coach without discussing it previously, that could be the root of the problem. In masters meets, I pretty much don't pay attention to what other swimmers are doing in my heats, except to note that all of them are faster than I am. ;) If someone chose to do fly in a freestyle event I was swimming, I'd be fine with it, as, legally, freestyle means any stroke you want. I might envy their ability, but also appreciate it. A friend, btw, did fly in a 500 free (not my heat) at a masters meet and either won or was close. I was impressed! Can't see doing it myself, but main thought was "good for her!"
  • I did 1,000 fly in the pool at the end of practice once!
  • As an interesting aside, John Batcheler from Colorado masters recently swam the English Channel all butterfly. It took him 14 hours
  • Okay, I'd put John's swim under the worthy challenge category. When ratified this will be the 4th butterfly crossing and the first by an American. Congratulations.
  • I did 1,000 fly in the pool at the end of practice once!I remember that!
  • swimswam.com/.../ Showboating? Disrespectful? Did she clear this with her coach and the other competitors first? I hope she didn't damage the self esteem of any of the other swimmers;)
  • swimswam.com/.../ Showboating? Disrespectful? Did she clear this with her coach and the other competitors first? I hope she didn't damage the self esteem of any of the other swimmers;) Well... I sure would not have wanted to be the swimmer immediately to her left on the last length... your arms and lungs burning and you come out of the turn to watch THAT happen right next to you! Gadzooks!
  • I encourage others to push fly to a slower and longer distance.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    This is much ado about nothing. Not bragging OR showboating. Its competition. It was legal. Otherwise the competitor would have been disqualified. All of the points being made about playing fair or hurting another competitor's feelings are clutter and noise. Go play youth rec league soccer and collect your trophy at the end of the season. I have never, ever been in a situation where a coach would feel compelled to advise an athlete to compete differently out of compassion. Could the coach shuffle the line-up and have the sprinters compete in longer events and distance athletes in shorter, absolutely. The coach is well within his/her "lane" to conduct a little attitude adjustment at the next practice. For example the main set the next day might be 5 x 500 fly with the caveat of "How do you like me now?" I competed D1 in the 80's. We got trounced by another conference team every year. Did we complain? No. The race is against the clock.