500 Fly: worthy challenge or arrogant showboating?

Former Member
Former Member
A kid swam the 500 all fly in a high school dual meet yesterday. His coach was furious and benched him for the rest of the meet. One of my lane mates this morning, who was the Starter at this meet said that was showboating and demeaning to the other competitors. I disagree. Was that any more demeaning than swimming free and lapping people? Plus, I saw the flyer ask everyone in the heat if it would bother them. Even on the blocks he said "Are you sure you guys are OK with this?"
Parents
  • I'm not experienced re hs swimming and the various rules/expectations. But if the idea is generally frowned upon, it seems more communication was needed between the swimmer and the coach before he went ahead with fly, at least touching base with the coach to say what he wanted to do. If he just wanted a 500 fly time in competition, maybe the coach could help him find opportunities for that. If he springs it on the coach without discussing it previously, that could be the root of the problem. In masters meets, I pretty much don't pay attention to what other swimmers are doing in my heats, except to note that all of them are faster than I am. ;) If someone chose to do fly in a freestyle event I was swimming, I'd be fine with it, as, legally, freestyle means any stroke you want. I might envy their ability, but also appreciate it. A friend, btw, did fly in a 500 free (not my heat) at a masters meet and either won or was close. I was impressed! Can't see doing it myself, but main thought was "good for her!"
  • I'm not experienced re hs swimming and the various rules/expectations. But if the idea is generally frowned upon, it seems more communication was needed between the swimmer and the coach before he went ahead with fly, at least touching base with the coach to say what he wanted to do. If he just wanted a 500 fly time in competition, maybe the coach could help him find opportunities for that. If he springs it on the coach without discussing it previously, that could be the root of the problem. In masters meets, I pretty much don't pay attention to what other swimmers are doing in my heats, except to note that all of them are faster than I am. ;) If someone chose to do fly in a freestyle event I was swimming, I'd be fine with it, as, legally, freestyle means any stroke you want. I might envy their ability, but also appreciate it. A friend, btw, did fly in a 500 free (not my heat) at a masters meet and either won or was close. I was impressed! Can't see doing it myself, but main thought was "good for her!"
Children
No Data