500 Fly: worthy challenge or arrogant showboating?

Former Member
Former Member
A kid swam the 500 all fly in a high school dual meet yesterday. His coach was furious and benched him for the rest of the meet. One of my lane mates this morning, who was the Starter at this meet said that was showboating and demeaning to the other competitors. I disagree. Was that any more demeaning than swimming free and lapping people? Plus, I saw the flyer ask everyone in the heat if it would bother them. Even on the blocks he said "Are you sure you guys are OK with this?"
Parents
  • I prefer being stroked or chicked to being lapped (but being chick stroked is worse;)). That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree, but don't dismiss my view as irrelevant when I have plenty of experience on the matter. As a sophomore in HS, a guy swam 500 fly in the lane next to me at a dual meet. I thought that was really cool and hoped I could get in good enough shape to do it too some day. 2 years later I did. In both cases, no one on either team or either coach had any problem with it. I wasn't very good in college. I sat out 2 years with injuries but had plenty of experience with speed disparities. There were times it was a challenge for my free to keep up with a backstroker who was top 3 in both backstrokes NCAA D1 the previous year, or 2 guys who were Olympic Trials finalists in the 200 fly. We didn't train with the women's team much, but keeping up with the WR holder in the women's 200 free at the time could be a challenge. The reigning Olympic Bronze medalist in the women's 200 fly could make my free look bad in shorter distances (yep, I've been chick stroked). My last year, I was regularly getting lapped by the men's Olympic Gold medalist in the 1500 and the O record holder in the 400 free (2 different guys). Anyway, that's my perspective. In defense of those who disagree with me, the Starter I mentioned in the first post is one of the nicest people I've ever known (team mate for the last Trans-Tahoe & in my car pool for Nationals next month) . He never gets bother by anything but was definitely irritated by this incident. I, I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me, me. That's all that I read in your post. As a person who actually coaches you reflect your school and your swimmers at meets. A kid swim a 500 fly is indicative of poor sportsmanship, and you can't tap dance your way around that. You can laugh it off but I can assure you the opposing coach and team won't forget being showed up.
  • I prefer being stroked or chicked to being lapped (but being chick stroked is worse;)). That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree, but don't dismiss my view as irrelevant when I have plenty of experience on the matter. As a sophomore in HS, a guy swam 500 fly in the lane next to me at a dual meet. I thought that was really cool and hoped I could get in good enough shape to do it too some day. 2 years later I did. In both cases, no one on either team or either coach had any problem with it. I wasn't very good in college. I sat out 2 years with injuries but had plenty of experience with speed disparities. There were times it was a challenge for my free to keep up with a backstroker who was top 3 in both backstrokes NCAA D1 the previous year, or 2 guys who were Olympic Trials finalists in the 200 fly. We didn't train with the women's team much, but keeping up with the WR holder in the women's 200 free at the time could be a challenge. The reigning Olympic Bronze medalist in the women's 200 fly could make my free look bad in shorter distances (yep, I've been chick stroked). My last year, I was regularly getting lapped by the men's Olympic Gold medalist in the 1500 and the O record holder in the 400 free (2 different guys). Anyway, that's my perspective. In defense of those who disagree with me, the Starter I mentioned in the first post is one of the nicest people I've ever known (team mate for the last Trans-Tahoe & in my car pool for Nationals next month) . He never gets bother by anything but was definitely irritated by this incident. I, I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me, me. That's all that I read in your post. As a person who actually coaches you reflect your school and your swimmers at meets. A kid swim a 500 fly is indicative of poor sportsmanship, and you can't tap dance your way around that. You can laugh it off but I can assure you the opposing coach and team won't forget being showed up.
Children
No Data