500 Fly: worthy challenge or arrogant showboating?

Former Member
Former Member
A kid swam the 500 all fly in a high school dual meet yesterday. His coach was furious and benched him for the rest of the meet. One of my lane mates this morning, who was the Starter at this meet said that was showboating and demeaning to the other competitors. I disagree. Was that any more demeaning than swimming free and lapping people? Plus, I saw the flyer ask everyone in the heat if it would bother them. Even on the blocks he said "Are you sure you guys are OK with this?"
Parents
  • I actually am a high school coach and this is arrogant showboating at its worst or best. High school meets can be terribly lopsided and sportsmanship is the #1 priority. I had a relay ask me this year if they could do the 200 free as a 200 fly. I asked them how they would feel if another team were to do this to them. That kind of made it clear.
  • I actually am a high school coach and this is arrogant showboating at its worst or best. High school meets can be terribly lopsided and sportsmanship is the #1 priority. I had a relay ask me this year if they could do the 200 free as a 200 fly. I asked them how they would feel if another team were to do this to them. That kind of made it clear.
Children
No Data