500 Fly: worthy challenge or arrogant showboating?

Former Member
Former Member
A kid swam the 500 all fly in a high school dual meet yesterday. His coach was furious and benched him for the rest of the meet. One of my lane mates this morning, who was the Starter at this meet said that was showboating and demeaning to the other competitors. I disagree. Was that any more demeaning than swimming free and lapping people? Plus, I saw the flyer ask everyone in the heat if it would bother them. Even on the blocks he said "Are you sure you guys are OK with this?"
Parents
  • Remember, the flyer kid's team did not need any points from his swim. On a related note, the opposing coach qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials in the 200 fly. One time we were doing a set of 100's on 1:10. He did 25 of each 100 fly, rotating which 25 was the fly. Was that challenging himself, or belittling to me in the next lane, barely making the interval going all free? Well then, I guess attention hungry players of all team sports should feel justified doing their own individual showboating during any game/match as long as their teams are winning. Coaches and teammates just love that.:shakeshead: Did you swim in high school or have you ever coached high school swimmers? I can't imagine being self-absorbed enough to have just done whatever I wanted in an event when I was representing my coach and my team. I highly doubt any other swimmers in his heat (all teenage boys) were going to tell him that his doing fly would bother them - even if it did.
  • Remember, the flyer kid's team did not need any points from his swim. On a related note, the opposing coach qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials in the 200 fly. One time we were doing a set of 100's on 1:10. He did 25 of each 100 fly, rotating which 25 was the fly. Was that challenging himself, or belittling to me in the next lane, barely making the interval going all free? Well then, I guess attention hungry players of all team sports should feel justified doing their own individual showboating during any game/match as long as their teams are winning. Coaches and teammates just love that.:shakeshead: Did you swim in high school or have you ever coached high school swimmers? I can't imagine being self-absorbed enough to have just done whatever I wanted in an event when I was representing my coach and my team. I highly doubt any other swimmers in his heat (all teenage boys) were going to tell him that his doing fly would bother them - even if it did.
Children
No Data