500 Fly: worthy challenge or arrogant showboating?

Former Member
Former Member
A kid swam the 500 all fly in a high school dual meet yesterday. His coach was furious and benched him for the rest of the meet. One of my lane mates this morning, who was the Starter at this meet said that was showboating and demeaning to the other competitors. I disagree. Was that any more demeaning than swimming free and lapping people? Plus, I saw the flyer ask everyone in the heat if it would bother them. Even on the blocks he said "Are you sure you guys are OK with this?"
Parents
  • I did a 500 fly in a meet last year, and am planning on a 500 back this year in route to obtaining a time for a 2000 IM. I will again let everyone in the heat know what I am planning to do, as well as the starter and ref. In a meet where team scores matter, I agree that the swimmer has an obligation to follow the direction of the coach. Not knowing that part of the story, it was appropriate for him to let those he was swimming with know what he had planned. Plus, the kid can become a member of the Butternuts! :banana:
  • I did a 500 fly in a meet last year, and am planning on a 500 back this year in route to obtaining a time for a 2000 IM. I will again let everyone in the heat know what I am planning to do, as well as the starter and ref. In a meet where team scores matter, I agree that the swimmer has an obligation to follow the direction of the coach. Not knowing that part of the story, it was appropriate for him to let those he was swimming with know what he had planned. Plus, the kid can become a member of the Butternuts! :banana:
Children
No Data