500 Fly: worthy challenge or arrogant showboating?

Former Member
Former Member
A kid swam the 500 all fly in a high school dual meet yesterday. His coach was furious and benched him for the rest of the meet. One of my lane mates this morning, who was the Starter at this meet said that was showboating and demeaning to the other competitors. I disagree. Was that any more demeaning than swimming free and lapping people? Plus, I saw the flyer ask everyone in the heat if it would bother them. Even on the blocks he said "Are you sure you guys are OK with this?"
Parents
  • Obviously there is something else going on here, something between the coach and the flyer. Or the other swimmers on the team made a dare. Or who knows what else? Maybe he didn't want to swim the 500 and was seeking a way to never be asked to do so again. I was in the heats of the 100 free at the state meet as a senior in HS when an old teammate from the school I had transferred from was on the blocks next to me. He did NOT want to swim the 100 free and told me he was going to false start. He did, and was DQ'd. His coach wanted him to swim the 100, but he did not. Guess he figured out a way to get out of it.
  • Obviously there is something else going on here, something between the coach and the flyer. Or the other swimmers on the team made a dare. Or who knows what else? Maybe he didn't want to swim the 500 and was seeking a way to never be asked to do so again. I was in the heats of the 100 free at the state meet as a senior in HS when an old teammate from the school I had transferred from was on the blocks next to me. He did NOT want to swim the 100 free and told me he was going to false start. He did, and was DQ'd. His coach wanted him to swim the 100, but he did not. Guess he figured out a way to get out of it.
Children
No Data