Resuming training after bout with mild case of pneumonia

I hope to get to nationals at Santa Clara this year, but was just diagnosed with so called "walking" pneumonia and am on antibiotics. How soon can I hope to resume training for nationals or at least get back in the water for practices?
Parents
  • In late winter I had some sort of respiratory/lung infection. I saw the doc and he didn't classify it as "pneumonia" (nor flu or anything contagious) of any sort...nor did he put me on prescription meds for anything other than the coughing. But my lungs were FUBAR at any rate, and my entire body was hit pretty hard too! I had some of the most violent coughing I'd experienced in my whole life. After a couple of weeks of no physical activity and the coughing had subsided significantly, the athlete in me convinced me that I was feeling good enough for a workout. But my lungs still felt somewhat compromised. Nevertheless I got on the bike and went for a 30 mile ride. That was a mistake, and probably pushed my recovery back a couple of weeks. So...just make sure that your lungs are feeling completely normal before you stress them with a workout. Otherwise it could be detrimental and/or cause delay in your complete recovery. Dan
  • In late winter I had some sort of respiratory/lung infection. I saw the doc and he didn't classify it as "pneumonia" (nor flu or anything contagious) of any sort...nor did he put me on prescription meds for anything other than the coughing. But my lungs were FUBAR at any rate, and my entire body was hit pretty hard too! I had some of the most violent coughing I'd experienced in my whole life. After a couple of weeks of no physical activity and the coughing had subsided significantly, the athlete in me convinced me that I was feeling good enough for a workout. But my lungs still felt somewhat compromised. Nevertheless I got on the bike and went for a 30 mile ride. That was a mistake, and probably pushed my recovery back a couple of weeks. So...just make sure that your lungs are feeling completely normal before you stress them with a workout. Otherwise it could be detrimental and/or cause delay in your complete recovery. Dan
Children
No Data