What age did you put your child in swimming lessons?

Former Member
Former Member
I personally feel like you can start teaching basic swimming concepts at home starting from infancy to age 3. 3 years old I think is the perfect time to introduce traditional swimming lessons. Do you guys teach your own children, or use an outside company (YMCA, local program, etc..)? What age did you start your child in swimming lessons?
Parents
  • I had my daughters in a pool at 6 weeks or so, I think. We had them in 'mommy/daddy/child' lessons soon thereafter and they just kind of moved along the path of lessons from there. It's been 16-18 years, so I cannot exactly recall the details, but do know I held off them swimming their first 400 IM until they were 11 or so - a late mistake, I now realize, I will not let happen to any grandchildren I ever might have :)!
  • I had my daughters in a pool at 6 weeks or so, I think. We had them in 'mommy/daddy/child' lessons soon thereafter and they just kind of moved along the path of lessons from there. It's been 16-18 years, so I cannot exactly recall the details, but do know I held off them swimming their first 400 IM until they were 11 or so - a late mistake, I now realize, I will not let happen to any grandchildren I ever might have :)!
Children
No Data