What age did you put your child in swimming lessons?

Former Member
Former Member
I personally feel like you can start teaching basic swimming concepts at home starting from infancy to age 3. 3 years old I think is the perfect time to introduce traditional swimming lessons. Do you guys teach your own children, or use an outside company (YMCA, local program, etc..)? What age did you start your child in swimming lessons?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    We had all of our children in the water at 5 weeks of age. There were enrolled in actual swim classes at the age of 3 at our local YMCA. Before that we did parent tot classes at our YMCA where the parent was in the water and did songs and such to get children use to the water as well as basic safety like the crab crawl on the side, climbing out and teaching baby to stay sitting on the side until asked to get in. I teach swim but I still enrolled my kids in the programs as they do better with a stranger out of parents sight. My kids at the age of 3 were not always happy that were allowed to sink under the water during jump ins but this made them better and realistically most parents would not do this. I would agree that 3 is a great time to get them into lessons.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    We had all of our children in the water at 5 weeks of age. There were enrolled in actual swim classes at the age of 3 at our local YMCA. Before that we did parent tot classes at our YMCA where the parent was in the water and did songs and such to get children use to the water as well as basic safety like the crab crawl on the side, climbing out and teaching baby to stay sitting on the side until asked to get in. I teach swim but I still enrolled my kids in the programs as they do better with a stranger out of parents sight. My kids at the age of 3 were not always happy that were allowed to sink under the water during jump ins but this made them better and realistically most parents would not do this. I would agree that 3 is a great time to get them into lessons.
Children
No Data