Increasing stroke rate and stopping overgliding

Former Member
Former Member
I know this is an old issue, but here goes. I am definitely overgliding - I am almost waiting for the recovering hand to enter the water before starting new stroke, much like the catch-up drill. My freestyle is slower than my breaststroke! How can I stop? It feels like a lose balance if I don't have a hand stretched out in front of me. Are there any simple things to concentrate on while swimming? (I don't feel confident in spending the money on the swimsmooth videos for overgliders.) Any tips? Thanks in anticipation
Parents
  • I do know that head-up free drill forces an immediate catch, especially when with a dolphin kick. But the best route might be to have a coach analyze what's up. I agree with Steve. The heads up (Tarzan) drill forces you to do a shoulder driven stroke that all but eliminates any gliding. It is not easy to do. You've got to kick hard and keep your head very still, looking forward. Do alternating lengths of drill and free (with lots of rest) to get the feel down. The suggestion to use a snorkel also makes lots of sense.
  • I do know that head-up free drill forces an immediate catch, especially when with a dolphin kick. But the best route might be to have a coach analyze what's up. I agree with Steve. The heads up (Tarzan) drill forces you to do a shoulder driven stroke that all but eliminates any gliding. It is not easy to do. You've got to kick hard and keep your head very still, looking forward. Do alternating lengths of drill and free (with lots of rest) to get the feel down. The suggestion to use a snorkel also makes lots of sense.
Children
No Data