Increasing stroke rate and stopping overgliding

Former Member
Former Member
I know this is an old issue, but here goes. I am definitely overgliding - I am almost waiting for the recovering hand to enter the water before starting new stroke, much like the catch-up drill. My freestyle is slower than my breaststroke! How can I stop? It feels like a lose balance if I don't have a hand stretched out in front of me. Are there any simple things to concentrate on while swimming? (I don't feel confident in spending the money on the swimsmooth videos for overgliders.) Any tips? Thanks in anticipation
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    To oversimplify it: do not ever stop moving the hand. It will move slower as you extend, just don't let any passive/motionless times into your stroke. I'm a big believer that breath timing is the ultimate stroke wrecker, specifically breathing late. It can and often does lead to people leaning hard on the non-breathing arm, leaving it there motionless as a crutch to get air. Don't feel bad everyone here has experienced some level of it! As an experiment if you can grab a center mount snokel go swim and see if your pauses disappear magically? Of course there is over gliding no matter what the breathing pattern happens to be as well. I think one simple thought is don't let the arms sit around passively!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    To oversimplify it: do not ever stop moving the hand. It will move slower as you extend, just don't let any passive/motionless times into your stroke. I'm a big believer that breath timing is the ultimate stroke wrecker, specifically breathing late. It can and often does lead to people leaning hard on the non-breathing arm, leaving it there motionless as a crutch to get air. Don't feel bad everyone here has experienced some level of it! As an experiment if you can grab a center mount snokel go swim and see if your pauses disappear magically? Of course there is over gliding no matter what the breathing pattern happens to be as well. I think one simple thought is don't let the arms sit around passively!
Children
No Data