Just got back into swimming. Need help building!

Former Member
Former Member
As the title says, I just got back into swimming after a 4+ year break from the pool due to injury/deployment etc. I have been in the water most nights for the last three weeks and have seen some incredible gains. I am just running out of ways to stay motivated when I'm not swimming with a group and I'm finding it especially hard to find workouts that will give me the best gains for the day. I'm also not too sure on the distances and sets I should be looking at to give me the best results. For reference, right now my workouts are Weds-Monday, with Tuesdays off. Mon. and Weds. I swim 30-45 minutes, followed by a Masters program, and the other days are solo workouts, usually a mix of sprint sets and distance sets. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Since you are a returning swimmer, you'll need to focus on regaining your endurance and your speed without injury. As a returning swimmer myself, I found it difficult to take it slow and often I would think I could do yardage and workouts that in fact my body was not physically prepared for. You might want to consider getting your stroke analyzed by your coach or independently, so that you can figure out what areas you need to improve and this way create more interesting workouts that will combine technique work with interval sets. If you're interested, you can check out this article I wrote on finding the motivation to train: www.swimspire.com/.../ I can also offer some workouts that will get you motivated, which would include an online stroke analysis: www.swimspire.com/.../ Good luck!