Training for the 200 ***

I need some advice on how to train for the 200 Yard Breaststroke. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Parents
  • Here are a couple stroke sets we do for mid distance training that seem to work well. I call these "monday" sets since we tend to do them with an effort consistent with EN-2/EN-3 training goals so it helps to have the sunday of rest for our team that allows them to swim the set at the correct effort level. EN-2/EN-3 for these sets means you're above your anerobic threshold for at a few of the parts of the set (ends of the swims). This helps train the body to cope with lactic acid by shunting it from the muscles. We do other stroke sets on peak days at race pace but will only do a stroke set like this once or twice a week. The times are for a swimmer who does about a 1:05 100 *** and 2:20 200, so adjust accordingly. Option 1: Once or twice through 4 x 50 *** Swim on :55 interval. Goal long strong strokes, pace of first 100 of 200 race swim. 3 x 100 on 1:30 25 *** long and strong/50 free moderate/25 *** fast 4 x 50 *** Swim on :50 interval. Hold stroke together, pace last 100 of 200 race swim. 200 EZ swim recovery Option 2: The goal here is to hold your form. Try to maintain a manageable, constant pace for the stroke swims. Once or twice through Example Intervals as above 200 Swim 50 ***/100 Free/50 *** on 3:00 2 x 150 Swim 50 ***/ 50 Free /50 *** on 2:15 3 x 100 Swim 25 ***/25 Free/50 *** on 1:30 4 x 50 Swim *** on :50 2:00 bonus rest between rounds We do a lot of broken swims as others have suggested working on pacing. We also will do race pace sets on peak days if we haven't had a meet in a while. One of my favorites for training the 200 is to swim a few repeat 175s trying to beat your 200 goal time on an interval that gvies you about a 2:1-4:1 rest:work ratio. As an alternative for sprinters we'll swim a max effort 75 followed by a 225 drift/float/active recovery. These sets are intense SP-2, lactic acid buffering sets and while this training is critical for good race performance, don't overdo it and follow with a recovery day! Respect recovery days! Some Tuneup sets that I find very helpful for pacing 8 x 25 on :30 or :40 interval trying to make every single 25 identical. Same stroke rate, same stroke count, everything. This gets very challenging after a few and you have to stay mentally tough and hold everything together. Same thing with 50s. A couple days a week, typically recovery days, we'll do 20-30 x 50s of various stroke drills on a longish interval that guarantees the swimmers can maintain a quality swim. Important drills are Sculling both out front and in the insweep position to improve feel and muscular endurance in your arms, forearms and wrists One pull two or three kicks with a focus on maintaining your body line One pull, three second glide for the same reason as above 3-2-1 drill where you swim gliding for 3 seconds one stroke, then 2 seconds, then 1, then repeat. Great for developing better short axis coordination. Pull stop kick stop where you isolate the pull and the kick. This is to break the natural link that makes us want to pull and kick at the same time. The goal is to allow you to comfortably delay your kick until the appropriate time in the stroke (after you're in the streamline) Note: in my experience I have never seen a breaststroker who kicks too late :) Along the same line as the last one, swim *** only focusing on getting the most out of each kick at the appropriate time. Tempo trainer drills: I'll set a tempo trainer to beep once every 1.5, 1.7 or 2.0 seconds for 50,100,200 pacing and swim 50s trying to stay as loose as possible while maintaining the stroke rate. Hope this helps!
  • Here are a couple stroke sets we do for mid distance training that seem to work well. I call these "monday" sets since we tend to do them with an effort consistent with EN-2/EN-3 training goals so it helps to have the sunday of rest for our team that allows them to swim the set at the correct effort level. EN-2/EN-3 for these sets means you're above your anerobic threshold for at a few of the parts of the set (ends of the swims). This helps train the body to cope with lactic acid by shunting it from the muscles. We do other stroke sets on peak days at race pace but will only do a stroke set like this once or twice a week. The times are for a swimmer who does about a 1:05 100 *** and 2:20 200, so adjust accordingly. Option 1: Once or twice through 4 x 50 *** Swim on :55 interval. Goal long strong strokes, pace of first 100 of 200 race swim. 3 x 100 on 1:30 25 *** long and strong/50 free moderate/25 *** fast 4 x 50 *** Swim on :50 interval. Hold stroke together, pace last 100 of 200 race swim. 200 EZ swim recovery Option 2: The goal here is to hold your form. Try to maintain a manageable, constant pace for the stroke swims. Once or twice through Example Intervals as above 200 Swim 50 ***/100 Free/50 *** on 3:00 2 x 150 Swim 50 ***/ 50 Free /50 *** on 2:15 3 x 100 Swim 25 ***/25 Free/50 *** on 1:30 4 x 50 Swim *** on :50 2:00 bonus rest between rounds We do a lot of broken swims as others have suggested working on pacing. We also will do race pace sets on peak days if we haven't had a meet in a while. One of my favorites for training the 200 is to swim a few repeat 175s trying to beat your 200 goal time on an interval that gvies you about a 2:1-4:1 rest:work ratio. As an alternative for sprinters we'll swim a max effort 75 followed by a 225 drift/float/active recovery. These sets are intense SP-2, lactic acid buffering sets and while this training is critical for good race performance, don't overdo it and follow with a recovery day! Respect recovery days! Some Tuneup sets that I find very helpful for pacing 8 x 25 on :30 or :40 interval trying to make every single 25 identical. Same stroke rate, same stroke count, everything. This gets very challenging after a few and you have to stay mentally tough and hold everything together. Same thing with 50s. A couple days a week, typically recovery days, we'll do 20-30 x 50s of various stroke drills on a longish interval that guarantees the swimmers can maintain a quality swim. Important drills are Sculling both out front and in the insweep position to improve feel and muscular endurance in your arms, forearms and wrists One pull two or three kicks with a focus on maintaining your body line One pull, three second glide for the same reason as above 3-2-1 drill where you swim gliding for 3 seconds one stroke, then 2 seconds, then 1, then repeat. Great for developing better short axis coordination. Pull stop kick stop where you isolate the pull and the kick. This is to break the natural link that makes us want to pull and kick at the same time. The goal is to allow you to comfortably delay your kick until the appropriate time in the stroke (after you're in the streamline) Note: in my experience I have never seen a breaststroker who kicks too late :) Along the same line as the last one, swim *** only focusing on getting the most out of each kick at the appropriate time. Tempo trainer drills: I'll set a tempo trainer to beep once every 1.5, 1.7 or 2.0 seconds for 50,100,200 pacing and swim 50s trying to stay as loose as possible while maintaining the stroke rate. Hope this helps!
Children
No Data